Clarke Tank Lid Failure

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zyx

Clarke Tank Lid Failure

Post by Zyx »

image.jpg
image.jpg
Has anyone seen a Clarke Tank filler lid fail like this? Less than a year old :|
Zyx

Re: Clarke Tank Lid Failure

Post by Zyx »

Repaired temporarily by heat welding using a solder gun and strips of LDPE cut from an oil bottle. So far so good, but the material at the juncture of the threaded body and the cap seal is really thin. Not a sturdy molding. Clarke should be ashamed for their new style cap. Of course, for another $50 you can get billet aluminum. Not.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Why not see if Clarke would replace the cap ?
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Us old timers call them gas caps Ashamed ?? A bit hasty, could start your a company and build a better one. Clark has been a great hodaka supporter. Could be you used too much power, if many people are having the problem it will be improved. We can work for people, with people or against them. Trying to be positive---------Clarence
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I am betting Clark would replace it if you call them and maybe send a picture. They are a first class company.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Contacted them before posting. No response by email. Maybe I need to phone. No one else has had one separate?
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

AZ,

They usually have someone at Hodaka Days. Bring your cap and I am sure they will take care of it.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

That's a thought.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

AZ - I agree w/the above. The Clarke folks are first rate. they are a small firm and may not always respond immediately to inquiries, but I've always found them to be super responsible. Do try calling, and ask for Janet or Brett.

Bob
MWL

Post by MWL »

Do a search on that subject. I don't think you are the first one to have a cap fail.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Yep they are good people , I had a couple of pet cock failures both new and old styles and they gladly replaced them at At Hodaka days just by what I dold them. 8o)

Rich
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Lid was overtightened. Must resist urge to crank it down like it's a bridge bolt.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Thanks for the tip. It was not tightened much at all. Enough to lightly compress the gasket so it didn't leak, but really, this isn't my first rodeo.

The design is weak, and that's a fact. The material thickness at the point of strain is less than a millimeter. Plus, this is an off road device, not a closet queen. If it can't take the strain of a motocross pit stop, it isn't good enough. I added material to the area, but hot welds on LDPE are less than full strength, so no telling how long my repair will last.

Talked to the folks at Clarke. The cap has a 6 month warranty. The tank is a year old this past April, but sat on the floor until this April, so has only been in service a few months. Given that this is not their first cap failure, the cap is suspect. I have plastic gas cans with caps older than this century and they are still in service, so my thought is that the cap is under engineered. A replacement only puts me back where I was, subject to failure at some future point.

Clarke plans to be at the Hodaka Days event, so I will approach them there about it. I don't necessarily expect a new cap, since this one is out of warranty, but they should consider a redesign to avoid such issues. I also don't like the vent tit. It is slippery plastic, slightly tapered in the wrong direction, and very hard to get a vent tube to stay put. This, too, could be remedied by a redesign.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Update. I just got a response from the Clarke folks. They suggested I contact Strictly Hodaka to see what their warranty policy is. I am not surprised by this, but having dealt with customers most of my adult life, I call that a handoff. Like forwarding a phone call but not staying on the line to see if someone else picks up, leaving the customer to deal with voicemail. If necessary, I can purchase a billet cap, but really....
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I will chip in and buy you a gas cap. Just so we can get back to the fun part of life-----------Clarence we know you have a positive side
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I am not complaining about the warranty. 6 months, one year, whatever. It's out of warranty. I get that. My point would be that the cap should NEVER fail due to normal use. Besides, being an independently wealthy retired federal employee, I can afford a new cap. But thanks.