No spark

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
dmreeves

No spark

Post by dmreeves »

Got 1972 Ace100B+ been sitting for 20 years. It had spark, so I cleaned gunk from carb, filled bowl with clean prefix. Started on 2nd kick and gave a few good pops. Popped several times again on 3rd kick but now no spark. Checked points, tried known good plug, to no avail. Any ideas?? Thanks!
Bruce Young

Re: No spark

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, check all the wire conections within the Ign. system and double check, I would if I where you change the points and condenser as a pair at the same time. Also lube the patch that is attached to Points it need lubed each time you go into the Ign. area, just a drop will do. Also very carefully if you can remove the magneto, clean the inside area, be very careful, follow the Manual for removal of magneto.

Last but not least it may be the upper coil. If you have a manual for this machine, check the ohm data on the ign system and check that all well as you can, to make sure you are getting proper flow juice. Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com IDAHO
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
dmreeves

Post by dmreeves »

Ok will do. I did disconnect/reconnect wires coming from points. Just weird that it popped big time then no spark. Thanks!
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Given the symptoms, I have no doubt it is okay, just dirty. Pull the flywheel and clean it. Make sure the flywheel inner surface is free of rust. Remove the bug dust that got on the points. Should be just fine. You have to expect something if it has been siting 20 years without use.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Oh, and make sure the kill switch is not grounded.