Ace 100 Kickstarter install

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
megawat

Ace 100 Kickstarter install

Post by megawat »

Still breaking the learning curve on my 1970 100B. Replaced Klickstart lever, spring and spring cover with NOS parts. Got the job done and works and looks great but took around 30 minutes with a lot of cussing. I'll bet with correct procedures about 30 seconds, please share the secret.
Pep

Re: Ace 100 Kickstarter install

Post by Pep »

Good work!
Did you have the clutch cover off? That makes things easier, and make sure the kick spring is oriented correctly.
Then just tie the kick lever back to the frame with a zip tie or velcro strap - keeps it out of the way for installing the cover back on.
-Laurie
Dale

Post by Dale »

Megawat, Yep, about 30 seconds with the clutch cover off. Slip the spring and cover over the kick starter shaft. Line up the spring to the kick lever and push it into place. Then rotate it back out of the way and put the clutch cover back on. Like Pep said, you can tie the lever back or just place a screwdriver blade into one of several holes to block the lever back. Much easier than what you did! I know, as I did it your way my first time...
Dale
Dale
megawat

Post by megawat »

Thanks guys, didn't think to pull the cover. Had to extract the rubber stopper for clearance then carefully twist the spring cover with spring tension about 90 degrees to mate with hole in lever and slide onto spline. All the while moaning shitty design, LOL, thanks again.
Don
jleewebb

Post by jleewebb »

I had to use a mirror to see what I was doing...took less time the second and third go-around...
kickstart pin.jpg