Ace 100 Wheel Assembly Help?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
bobwombat

Ace 100 Wheel Assembly Help?

Post by bobwombat »

1968 Ace 100; can anyone tell me if a rubber bearing seal goes on the LEFT side of the wheel between the wheel bearing & the speedometer drive? If I install a seal, I can't get the drive assembly to "seat". Or, does the speedo drive just rest on the bearing?

Have viewed the parts diagram until I'm dizzy but it's difficult to tell; speedo & wheel are on different schematics & it's been about 9 months since I took the wheel off the bike. I'm not that familiar w/the earlier bikes & thought I'd remember but I just turned 60, so.......... :roll:

Thanks in advance for any help! Bob in AZ
Dale

Re: Ace 100 Wheel Assembly Help?

Post by Dale »

Bob, There should be a seal on each side and then the speedo drive should fit into its slots and not interfere with the seal. I am pretty sure of this. If you are still having issues with this by tomorrow, I can pull the front wheel on mine and double check it for you.
Dale
Dale
bobwombat

Back To Dale Re: Ace 100 Wheel Assembly Help?

Post by bobwombat »

Dale, many thx for the reply; much appreciated. I'll try again tomorrow but please don't pull your wheel. You've just confirmed what I suspected & why I posted. It's always bad news when you have a part left over (rubber seal!) when you're done with a project!

Thanks for the help, Dale. Bob in AZ
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

First off, do you have the correct seal? The seal should be all rubber with no metal in the outside diameter. Assuming you have the correct seal it should be installed with the inner lip facing toward the hub. If the inner lip is facing out it will be difficult to install the speedo drive.

Brian
bobwombat

Back to Brian Re: Ace 100 Wheel Assembly Help?

Post by bobwombat »

Brian, thx for the follow-up! Yes, I have the seal that was removed from the Ace 100 wheel & it's in great shape but, many months later, I had brain fade & just coudn't get it to "seat" properly with the Speedo drive installed over the seal.

By the "inner lip", do you mean the smooth side of the seal or the side with the "groove"? Just checking.... Never thought to flip the seal over since I've had no problems on the later model bikes with Speedo drives.

While I have you, another $.01 for your thoughts??? The Ace axle threads into the left fork leg which, again, is quite different than I'm accustomed to on the later models. I'm assuming the proper "torque" is so the front backing place still has some play but isn't tight? Then, tighten the stay-bolt. Is this correct? Also, with the Ace bikes, how can we use the Captain's "How To" guide on the Ace re: fork & brake installation where we spin the wheel, brake, compress the forks, etc, etc?

Again, thanks for your help, Brian! Sorry it took awhile to get back here. Bob in AZ
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

I don't have any experience with the early type axle on Hodakas, but assuming the procedure is like any other bike, do the following:

1 - Apply the front brake to center the hub.
2 - Tighten the front axle. It should be tightened securely as any other axle. I don't know the correct torque.
3 - Work the suspension by compressing the forks several times.
4 - Tighten the axle pinch bolt.

As for the seal, if I understand you correctly, install it with the smooth side out.

Brian
bobwombat

Back to Brian Re: Ace 100 Wheel Assembly Help?

Post by bobwombat »

Many thanks again, Brian; I may have had the seal reversed. Duh. Appreciate all the help; I feel like a Rookie again on this earlier bike! Cheers, Bob in AZ
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Bob, I think you got the answer you needed on the oil seal, but I copied and added some text to a picture for folks looking at this thread in the future.
Oil Seal.jpg
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.