The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
BUSTER44

Road Toad #99 auto lube

Post by BUSTER44 »

how do i adjust the auto lube cable properly. Thank you
BUSTER44

Re: Road Toad #99 auto lube

Post by BUSTER44 »

I found all the information i needed right here there is like 9 or 10 posts about oil injection. I just needed to read more. I would like to know how to post pics here. Thanks Hodaka Club
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Believe it or not, that info is on here too. Type "downloading photos" or "picture attachments" in the forum search bar. Both threads provide good information. One of the most important steps in adjusting the oil pump is to first confirm the oil pump is functioning. For that maneuver, partially fill the tank with 32:1 premix, remove the pump cover and banjo bolt/oil line from the reed manifold, plug the hole in the manifold so as to avoid entraining air into the induction tract, fire up the motor set to a slightly higher than idle speed, and manually rotate the pump regulator valve on the oil pump (the little metal flange where the activating cable attached to the twist grip inserts) to its full-on position, and observe the oil line previously attached to the intake manifold. Oil should drip (not squirt) from the line. If not, first check the ball check valve imbedded in the banjo bolt. It can stick and obstruct the flow of oil. That lesson cost me a good piston and last overbore on the cylinder. If no flow persists, you'll need to flush the oil reservoir and lines. The Mikuni pumps that come as standard equipment are nearly bullet proof. If everything works after that and oil flow is observed, run the pump wide open until no more air bubbles are observed in the line and reinstall. The keys to adjusting the pump output are to first confirm that the two alignment marks are directly opposed (one on the valve flange lining up with the stationary mark on the pump housing) with the throttle fully closed. Then, take up the slack with the adjuster bolt for the oil pump cable on the twist grip so that the oil pump flow rate valve/housing alignment marks begin to diverge the instant you begin to twist the throttle. Its a bit fiddly, but keep at it. It is wise to top off the oil reservoir every time you fill the gas tank. If you inadvertently allow the tank to run dry, you will need to follow the exact same steps to reprime the pump. Some say it is wise to remove the entire oil injection system and run premix. Two advantages here. 1)You will never run straight gasoline into your motor (review above for the fun result), and 2) it relieves some of the "stiffness" of the twist grip since you are now only moving the carburetor slide valve. HPI sells a nice block-off kit if you choose to go that route.
BUSTER44

Post by BUSTER44 »

Thanks Matt, just saw your post