Riding Boots

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
joebat

Riding Boots

Post by joebat »

Looking for info on Boots. I bought a pair of Moose Racing M1 boots a few years back because I was looking for a low cost boot (these were ~$95.00) and Moose Racing is advertized as a supporter of Hodoka days which is why I chose this brand. However, there is so much ABS plastic that I can not bend my ankle up or down and could not feel the brake or shift pedal very well. "Snicking" shifts is nearly impossible with these boots, so I stopped wearing them. But then I hurt my foot pretty bad last summer at the ECHJYA ride in PA because I only wore a set of Catapiler hikers.
So my question is: What are your recomendations for a good boot? Do I have to pay $500 for a good pair? Or is there good stuff more affordable?
I have seen a set of Alpinestars Tech8 boots for around $250...? Anyone have any knowledge on these?
I'd like to get something better for next season. I do not race and only ride easy to moderate dirt trails. (But have been known to NOT keep the rubber side up! :| )
Any and all advice is appreciated. THANKS!

Joe
joebat

Re: Riding Boots

Post by joebat »

Correction on price in above posting: Alpinestar Tech 8 - $325. Tech 7 are ~$255.
Thanks again,
Joe
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Those boots will break in eventually - with patience. Walk in them and flex them as much as you can. The ABS will soften up a bit.

I bought a pair of these while on the way to Hodaka Days 2011, and they felt like Frankenstein boots when I put them on for the Bad Rock. But the distraction of the bike running so poorly at that time allowed me to forget that the boots seemed like they were made of concrete.

After break-in they are much easier to live with. They are big in the toe, I moved the shift lever up on the splines to fit the boot underneath the tip. I like them now, especially after walloping a few things that would have really hurt with lighter boots.

Darrell
Last edited by Darrell on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

I buy my boots off Craigslist , already broke in and half the price of new.
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I am with Kelly (Socalhodaka). I bought a new pair of boots locally that just cut the blood flow off in my feet. I tried to break them in walking around the house but finally sold them on eBay for almost what I paid for them. Bought a used pair of Gaerne also from eBay for $100. They feel so much better and so does my pocketbook.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

My comment likely won't save you any money, but . . . you might do a bit of research on "vintage" riding boots. I've got a pair of all leather boots that look like they could have been made in the 1970's (except for the truly handy and fast "over-center" latch closure system), but they were newly built in the 2000's. Mine are comfortable enough that I don't mind wearing them all day . . . and walking in them is pretty good too.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I thought I better add one additional factor to consider when choosing between leather and plasticky boots. That is deep water crossings and overall wet and mucky conditions.

Like a cat I hate getting wet feet, and riding conditions here require fording lots of flooded roads and deep puddles during much of the year. The cheaper plastic boots are quite waterproof and low-maintenance under these conditions. Heavy leather has to dry slowly and the boots may still be damp next time you want to go riding. Of course it should also be regularly oiled or greased (with leather products) to keep them pliable and minimize cracking.

Darrell
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I bought a pair of O'neil's for about $100, from MC Superstore. They replaced my 70's Beck Arnelly's (sp) which were cheap boots to begin with. I like the Oneil's, but I probably don't know what a quality boot is like.
-Forrest
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
http://www.goomer.com/honda/
joebat

Post by joebat »

Thanks for the help. I'll watch for used ones. That sounds like the best way to get something good for an affordable price, but even that will have to wait. Just took my best buddy to the vet hospital today. He's not good and will need to stay for a while. This dog is a Miricle dog...He's cheated death 3 times already... and he's family for sure so he comes first.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all!
Joe
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Another - not money-saving, but worthy option: Trials boots. MX boots seem uniformly rigid, trials boots are much more flexible, and likely have usable tread on the bottom, unlike most MXers. Catch is, they are harder to locate and usually cost more.

Bob
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

A subject dear to my heart. I have an old pair of Alpine Star tin plates from the 70's
Incredibly comfortable and max feel BUT for MX I wanted a bit more protection.
I ended up with a mid priced boot , Gaerne G react single pivot. Very good boot, no break in required.not the same level of feel as the old leather boots but much more secure feeling.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

I don't have a pair, but am thinking about them for dual sporting and trial riding.

ICON 1000 Elsinore Boot
The Elsinore’s™ five strap alloy buckle chassis, stamped metal heel plate, and internal steel shank combine for a serious dose of moto-x homage. The traditional Goodyear™ welt construction mates the Icon street specific sole to the magnificent leather upper. A zippered medial entry zipper, borrowed from Paratrooper jump boots, is the only luxury the Elsinore will allow itself. A modern relic from an era when men were iron and tanks were steel, the Elsinore, old-school MX reinterpreted for the urban sprawl.

$245.00 - $265.00 Suggested Retail USD
Attachments
icon boot.jpg