Thunderdog Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakahunter

Thunderdog Project

Post by hodakahunter »

Hello Hodaka Heads!

Just came across a good deal on a Thunderdog that I'll be seeing for the first time this weekend. After some quick searching through ebay and the net, I'm getting the feeling that parts for restoration or almost non-existant, this paired with the fact that many articles I've read on the model focused on it's underwhelming performance as a 250cc machine. More than willing to hear first hand opinions on whether or not these findings are in fact true.

So what to do? Has there been success in using this model as a base for building a competitive cross country machine from a combination of vintage parts from the era?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Bruce Young

Re: Thunderdog Project

Post by Bruce Young »

Contact this company, they have almost everything you will need, the #1 supplier of Hodaka Parts in the USA and have done a lot of work on racing the 250,s Hodaka-Parts Inc in Missouri, Terry Larson, [email protected] give them a try. I know they can give you lots of advice and equipment for that machine. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakahunter

Post by hodakahunter »

Bruce,

Thanks! I didn’t realize Terry was carrying a healthy supply of TD parts. I’ll reach out to him.

Would you have an opinion on the potential of the TD to be a competitive Cross Country platform for a group such as AHRMA?

mac

Post by mac »

If you are a Hodaka Club member there are a few past articles on TD,s being set up for cc racing. If you are not a member it,s worth the 24.00 for access to all those past Resonators,a lot of good reading and a wealth of tech info. Here is one from there that was set up real nice for Cross country.
Attachments
A1B0CA0F-B196-413F-ADDE-1DDDD2D16571.jpeg
hodakahunter

Post by hodakahunter »

Mac,

That’s exactly what I’m interested in doing! Yes, I’m a member. The group was very helpful in my 92B/93 restomod that I recently completed.

Bought quite a few parts from Terry and picked up a 93 head and GEM reed valve box from Greg Watkins.

Looking forward to working on this TD!
Attachments
D8AEE5A8-EF97-49D6-A7F7-FB86ED6AD604.jpeg
The SN#69 TD project
The SN#69 TD project

matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I may be wrong, but I think the Resonator articles were pertaining to modifying the SL250 for off-road action.
mac

Post by mac »

Matt,you are correct,my mistake. I,m sure some things might apply to both,but I don,t know much about either model so maybe not ?
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hi Mac, I don't have that much seat time on 250ED in a real enduro/hare scrambles competition setting, but my preliminary experience confirms that as is, it is a pretty capable machine. It is not as flickable as my preferred Combat Wombat with reed induction for woods work. The motor on my ED is undergoing an overhaul right now, but it is running in its stock piston port configuration. I think it would be a better woods weapon with reed valve induction and a tooth or two more on the drive sprocket. I have an SL250, but it is a cruiser and part-time fire road bomber and that's it. It is just a bit too heavy for me as a dedicated hare scrambler/enduro mount without spending a zillion dollars and hours on the necessary modifications and it is a heckuva lot of fun as it sits. If I was to make a side-by-side comparison, I would say the stock ED250 is a much more race-capable machine and would take less to make it an awesome race bike. The advantage of the SL is that in stock trim, it is street legal but it would essentially need to be made into something else before I would want to race one.