Tips, tricks, and hard lessons

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Mountain

Tips, tricks, and hard lessons

Post by Mountain »

Hello, I am about to clean up my engine (ACE 100) before I start the reassembly. In the past (car engine past) I wash my engine parts with dawn soap to clean everything up before putting it back together. Can anyone share some tips I should know before reassembling this engine this weekend? What type of lube do I wipe the internals down with prior to assembly? Should I flush the case out with a lite oil like mystery marvel and drain it out? Thanks for any help!
MTN
Ace 100
64 Bridgestone BS7
"lil" Indian mini
71 Rupp Roadster 2
socalhodaka

Re: Tips, tricks, and hard lessons

Post by socalhodaka »

Make sure the left side crank seal does not block the oil passage to the bearning.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Tips, tricks, and hard lessons

Post by Bullfrog »

Mountain:

Your procedures sound good. Hot soapy water scrub/wash helps assure that no metal or abrasive particles are left to wander around through the engine/gears/bearings/etc.

Oil wipe down stops corrosion immediately after the soapy wash/thorough rinse and dry. Use the oil of your choice. ANY oil is wayeeeeee better than no oil. I lean toward using my pre-mix oil as assembly lube for crank/top end -- and the gear oil I will use in the transmission as the assembly oil for clutch/transmission/etc. But again, ANY oil is better than no oil.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!