Magneto coil airgap

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Bill2001

Magneto coil airgap

Post by Bill2001 »

What is the magneto coil airgap on a Wombat 94? I'm thinking .010"/.25mm. I've loaned my general "Ace 90" out to a fresh Hodie victim and my Wbat manual doesn't say.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Hydraulic Jack

Re: Magneto coil airgap

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

I have always used 0.010" on most every magneto I have worked on from Hodaka to Briggs.
Hydraulic Jack
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

I have a .013" brass feeler gauge I made. When I use it, the timing is perfect according to my timing light.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

I'm still using the thin feeler gauges that are in the Hodie toolkit. I have some brass shimstock around somewhere and I'll make a proper gauge soon.

On the airgap I had some .010" acrylic sheet that I placed between the coil poles and the flywheel magnet.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

By "magneto coil air gap" I assume you are talking about clearance on the ends of the electrical coils versus the spinning magneto magnets, not the points. Air gapping the magneto is needed for optimum electrical function, as are clean metal parts, no rust, but the air gap on the coils doesn't affect timing. The coils are not highly adjustable as I recall.
Hydraulic Jack
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

The coils are not really adjustable but you do not want drag. I pull mine in to the center and tighten the screws. Proper jetting will give you the most performance. ------------Clarence