Sneaky Ace 90

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
michael_perrett

Sneaky Ace 90

Post by michael_perrett »

Little Ace 90 is not feeling well. Maybe too much celebration from the bike show in Toronto, Ohio. It is leaking black goo from the head pipe to muffler connection. He has a good rubber sleeve and good clamps. I have tightened the clamps down until his tongue is hanging out. Still leaks. Ready to get Pampers to place under it. Any solutions?
Mike Perrett
jakecb420

Re: Sneaky Ace 90

Post by jakecb420 »

I have a son that is 4 days old.....definitely got some diapers if you need em!!!!
Pep

Post by Pep »

Could be a hairline crack at the pipe bracket (near the hose fitting)?
It's a stressed area and would not take much of a crack to seep some goo.
The most thorough check means pulling the pipe and giving it a good look over - at least it's easily done
Get it fixed, can't have that nice bike in diapers at the next show!
-Laurie
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Oil or melted rubber? If oil lean out mixture and tighten clamp. Make sure exhaust nut is tight and sealed. A air leak can melt the rubber. In about 1969 my ace 90 connection rubber to the exhaust pipe melted dripping burning rubber==++== forest fire tanker planes and everything not good!. Clarence
michael_perrett

Congratulations Jake on the new arrival. Hope all is well with the wife also.

Will check out all parts on the "exhaust end" of the little stinker Ace 90 and see what I find. Wow, being chased by Smokey the Bear while riding your 90! Not for me.
Mike
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Mike- Let us know what you find. My Ace 90 has the same sort of incontinence... Very embarrassing for a 49 year-old!
Bob
michael_perrett

I wonder if there is a type of sealant that could be used if all parts are OK?
Mike
Larry S

Post by Larry S »

Mike
I've used Permatex high-temp RVT silicone with good success.

Larry S
michael_perrett

OK, after all these months, I finally have the sneaky Ace 90 up on the bike stand. Found out that the rubber sleeve is petrified with cracks running down the ID of the sleeve. Our fearless leader does not have any new ones, soooo, I will have to check around and see if there are any. Any ideas on a suitable high temp. replacement material?
Always meditating in the Super Secret Hodaka Research and Meditation Center,
Mike Perrett
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, I would recommend your local speed shop of boat shop, muffler shops, whey have hi-temp tubing, not cheap but the best use on the exch. system. Make measurements before you call them, the smaller size sometimes a little hard to find. I you need, any other items for the exch. lite the ring going to head, let use know, Hodakaparts.com IDAHo Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, I would recommend your local speed shop of boat shop, muffler shops, whey have hi-temp tubing, not cheap but the best use on the exch. system. Make measurements before you call them, the smaller size sometimes a little hard to find. I you need, any other items for the exch. lite the ring going to head, let use know, Hodakaparts.com IDAHo Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
michael_perrett

Finally installed some high temp silicone sealer. Waited a few weeks, seems to be sealing well. Some "new" used petcocks on the tank, now no mess on the Research and Meditation floor.
Mike
michael_perrett

Last Wednesday, Aug. 6th. after clearing all security systems of the Super Secret Hodaka Research and Meditation Center, I noticed my sneaky little Ace 90 out in the middle of the floor, next to the Ace 100B+. That is not where I left them Tuesday evening. Not having much time to dwell (meditate) on that 'cause I had to get loaded for the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club fall rally. That consists of vintage trials, bike show, swap meet and 90 mile Reliability Run.
I decided to ride the 175SL in the RR, my 1979 Ducati 900SS in the evening dinner rides and the 100B+ just to ride around the rally site. Being the only Hodaka presence around, I received a lot of comments about the Hodies. Found a few Hodaka items in the swap meet, but as usual, British items. Saturdays Reliability Run was very rewarding, with many scenic views along seldom traveled public roads for 90 miles.
Sunday was the bike show, again with very nice weather, when it happened again. This time, while I was at one of the food vendors, the 100B+ sneaked away and self registered itself in the Japanese section of the bike show. After being made aware of this, I suddenly realized what the Ace 90 and the 100B+ where doing on Tuesday night. The Ace 90, no doubt was instructing the 100B+ on how to self register for the show. Now if anyone told me, up to this point, Hodakas could communicate with each other, I would assume that they climbed just one too many thorn trees. I know better now.
Headed home Sunday evening with the "Sneaky Little Ace 100B+" holding his "Best Classic Japanese " award. Now both the Ace 90 and 100B+ have something to talk about.

Mike Perrett