Off Topic - sort of-

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
motovate

Off Topic - sort of-

Post by motovate »

I have a question about reeded bikes in general.
If the reeds are broken or only partially there would that affect the bike during warm up? I have a Yamaha DT 175 - which is reed ported. It will start OK using the choke and you can ride it around with the choke on while warming up and seems to run OK when it is good and warm - but If I take the choke off before it is real warm it falls right on its butt.

I just got it and haven't put much time into it yet as far as cleaning carb, jetting, etc. just getting ready to ad it to the "to do List"

I know the reeds affect running - but if the reed is broken or gone - would that somehow affect warm up??? Warm up or taking a lot of time to warm up?

Thanks.

LBM :?: :mrgreen:
RichardMott

Re: Off Topic - sort of-

Post by RichardMott »

From my experience, this seems to be a problem with the pilot jet. How does the bike run once it is fully warmed up?
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Do a compression check when it's cold and when it's warm to see if there is a difference, when it warms the tolerances tighten up slightly, so it may run better warm. But do a complete carb clean to be sure the circuits are all clean. And check the reeds, if it's broke fix it.
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Bad reeds cause lean running, and hard to start. They could actually be bad. Inspecting them is best if you can. Also check or get a bigger pilot jet if it sounds lean. Of course it could have a bad crank seal too.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

And I'm finding that 2-strokes need a bit more warm-up on-choke than 4-strokes due to the larger crankcase volume of the cool mixture, compared to the intake port induction volume of the 4-stroke.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
motovate

Post by motovate »

Thanks to everyone for the good info. Pilot jet could be plugged but once it warmed up and I took it off the choke it seemed to run OK - just took a lot longer to warm up then the Hodie Dirt squirt I also was running at the same time moving them around. Hodie was able to warm up quicker - or seemed to and ran better off choke then the DT did although it ran OK once it was well and good warm.

I just got to thinking about reed valves and wondered about warmups.

Jay hit on what I was wondering - bad reeds or stretching it to (maybe) no reeds (will they even run with out reeds??) makes them run lean. I know reeds work on Vacuum and if they are bad then little to no vacuum leans them out and could possibly take longer to warm up. Essentially- maybe :)

So the plan is - when I get around tuit so to speak would include pulling the carb and reed block to check & clean both of them along with all the other things maintenance wise to. If I find the stock steel reed(s) I'll know it's probably never been messed with and then change to newer non steel reeds. I just never liked the idea of a thin piece of steel waiting to break sitting just in front of the fuel flow!!!!

Thanks again

LBM 8-)