Throttle Cable

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
robert campbell

Throttle Cable

Post by robert campbell »

Hello,
New guy again. When getting the 1972 100B+ together I sourced a new throttle cable and it seems odd. The location it attaches to the grip seems incompatible to the length of the cable. In this I mean it has alot of free play passed closed on the grip? You can spin it a lot further from full slide closed on the carb and the throttle cable adjustment on the top of the carb seems useless. Is this normal for a Hodaka? I hope this makes sense.

Rob
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Throttle Cable

Post by Bullfrog »

It sounds like you have a cable which provides for wayeeeee more free play than you can adjust out with the adjusters at the carb and at the twist grip - right? If so, the cable is not right for the machine.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Compare the jacket part of the cable on the replacement with the original. If they are the same or nearly so then the problem is the length of the braided wire cable itself. This can be cut to appropriate length and a new barrel can be mounted. They are available. I used to keep them in my kit back when I fancied myself a budding endurance rider. They can save your bacon if you snap off a cable end. I got some more recently from motion pro. I'm not sure if Paul sells them. Here's how: Mark the proper length of the actual braided metal cable. Cut off the existing barrel. Now thread on the new barrel and slide it down to the mark you made. There is a crimping set screw on one (or both) ends. Tighten the barrel set screw(s) at the proper position and cut off the excess cable. PRESTO - functional cable. If this is not the case, then "what Ed said".
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

And on many cables the cable ends are soldered on and can be unsoldered and resoldered if the cable is shortened. The ferrule on the cable sheath is crimped on but can be worked off and reused.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
robert campbell

Thanks Guys,
It seems to be the wrong cable for sure and way to long. The other difference I see is the connection point on the throttle housing for the grip. some Hodaka's I see in pictures have a solid 90 degree smooth bend to turn the cable towards the frame and some just have a spring. I have one of those solid style attachments, but the ferrule would not go through it? My bike is a December 1971 bike and is a 100 B+. Any thoughts on this?

Rob
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

The Motion Pro cables (available from Strictly Hodaka) are about the best cables around. No need to cut corners on a throttle cable.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Good point, Bill. I've replaced all my bike's cables with the Motion Pro's from SH and they have performed flawlessly. I keep them well lubed and beat the whey out of them and have not been let down ever.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The folks at Motion Pro are not only friends of mine but enthusiasts also to the motorcycle community.
Plus they help to sponsor Hodaka Days :-)

Ohhh did I mention they make great parts and great cables too..
robert campbell

Can I just buy a throttle cable from SH? Went on-line and they only seem to have all four in a package for sale? If so what is the part number for my 1972 B+?

Rob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

And for future refetence, you can "shop by schematic" for price and availability of any part on the bike.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bill that throttle cable was missing from the Ace 100B+ schematics that is why Rob could not find it. Thank you for pointing this out though.
I just updated the Ace 100B+ cable page thanks Rob for pointing this out.
I am working on adding the 250 sprockets now to the website.... Never ends :-)
robert campbell

I always shop by the schematics area of SH. A very nice feature of SH!!!

Rob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Rob but it needs a lot of work. We are trying to spend time with it daily..