Compatablity of CW Barrel with SC Bottom End

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
shunt

Compatablity of CW Barrel with SC Bottom End

Post by shunt »

I have a Super Combat (97) Bottom End that I have picked up and I am currently looking at a Combat Wombat (95) Cylinder to replace the current cast iron Wombat Cylinder that came bolted to the SC bottom end, is the CW Cylinder compatible with the SC Bottom End, is there any traps in going down this path?
Also what is the difference between the CW Head and the SC Head, yes the cast iron Wombat Cylinder that was bolted to the SC bottom end, had a SC Head on it, I am wondering whether I can use the SC Head that came on the cast iron Wombat Cylinder or do I need to purchase a CW Head along with the CW Cylinder.
The only reason I am exploring this, is that I am yet to come across a SC Cylinder within the allocated budget for this part of my bitsa build.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Shane
rough rider

Re: Compatablity of CW Barrel with SC Bottom End

Post by rough rider »

Hello Shane, Yes you can use the cw cylinder with sc 97 close ratio tranny ( gear box). The sc 97 head will give you higher compression and more power. That is plus when running the close ratio gears. You can still use a cw 95 head just less compression a little less power. Also, you could have the cw 95 cylinder ported for more power but if you plan on using a reed valve you are better off buying an 03 wombat cylinder since it is set up for reeds and there is a lot of room to port and match the specs to the sc 97 cylinder. Richard
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

The combat wombat cylinder will work on there but the victort port will need to be modified to work with reed valves and I can do that if your interested . Also the combat wombat intake manifold stud spacing is narrower than the super combat so either the stud spacing will need to be altered ( I can do that also ) Or you need the reeds that fit that cylinder , and Ithink I may have that set up too.

Rich
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

You will find that carb options will be much more limited if you go with the CW cylinder unless you modify it for an 03 or SC reed manifold. I have even used a RT manifold as it is the same as the 03. They all use spigot mounted carbs, and the CW carb is flange mounted. So are most of the GEM reed conversion kits for the CW. You may save money on a CW cylinder, but will spend more time and money getting it dialed in due to carb limitations. I have used everything from 26 thru 36 mm carbs using this spigot manifold setup on all 3 cylinders, the SC,03 and CW. The combinations are endless and adapting the late model reed block fairly simple.

A second consideration is air box connections. Reed valves and spigot mount carbs are longer than stock, so be prepared for some tinkering.
shunt

Post by shunt »

Thanks for the response guys, my thinking at present is to endeavor to keep the build along the lines of a budget build inline with the main driver being an opportunity of the clearing out of a pile of randomly purchased spares.
My take from Olddogs note is that a SC Reed Valve assembly will provide a wider range of Carby choices, and as chance would have it, I do have a 03 Reed Valve assembly, stashed away.
Rich thanks for the info on the stud spacing of the 03 Reed Valve assembly, and the offer of doing the stud spacing mods, I am thinking to give this a go myself, I have a reasonable sized drill press and have a Mechanical Fitting/Machinist (well that is what we call the skill set Down Under) Trade background, but will definitely drop you a line re Reed Petals and Carby mods.
Thinking around Air Box is to use a Super Rat unit I have, once I have the Cylinder back on will then explore the options but as per Olddogs comment I am sure it will bring with it a fair bit of jerking around to get it to work.