Reed Valve Super Rat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
1963corvette

Reed Valve Super Rat

Post by 1963corvette »

If a Super Rat engine has been converted to Reed Valve can it run with an existing Super Rat standard manifold or do you also need to use Reed Valve manifold? I would assume to get the full benefit of Reed Valve piston/ cylinder you would also use the correct manifold, which is very expensive. If performance is not an issue can the engine run normally with just a standard manifold on Reed valve engine? I'm looking to buy the engine with Reed Valve piston / cylinder but has no manifold or carb. Would like to use with standard manifold if it will run, instead of buying expensive Reed manifold.
Thanks for your input.
Merry Christmas
JayLael

Re: Reed Valve Super Rat

Post by JayLael »

Sorry, but at minimum you would need to use a non reed piston, as the windows cause backwash, without a reed it won't even run. Reed manifolds can't be that expensive. You just need to connect with the right person.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Jay's right, you will have to have a reed valve for that modification. Look around, reed valves are way over-priced on E-bay. I'll bet Charlie R has some. Try to contact him on the Forum.

Max
1963corvette

Post by 1963corvette »

Thanks Jay and Max. I'll look around for a reed manifold.
All the best, Ron
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Just because the piston has holes in it does not make it a reed system. The reed is in the manifold and stops blowback through the carb from the holes in the piston. Then the reeds opens to let fuel and air in when the system is calling for fuel.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
1963corvette

Post by 1963corvette »

Thanks Bill, Yes looks like I would need the Reed Manifold. Can't seem to locate a Charlie R on the member listing to see if he can help. Anyone know his contact info?
Thanks, Ron
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Check your PM.

Max
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Not really sure which parts you have in hand here. If the question is whether a reed induction engine can be run piston port, I would think the answer is a qualified yes. The parts mix has to be right though. If you have a piston that is from a reed bike or was converted by Dremel to reed configuration, and you want to use that piston, then the folks are right so far.

If you have the non-reed manifold set-up and the question is can you run without reeds, yes you can but you will need a standard piston, not cut or drilled for reeds. Question: if this started as a non-reed cylinder, has your porting been modified?

There are too many variables for you to get a single answer to the question. So, tentatively yes, you can run piston port, but it might depend on porting changes made, and whether you would prefer to secure a reed manifold or a new piston and rings. Cost may be similar either way and frankly, reed induction is way better than piston port. That's why Hodaka changed its design.
1963corvette

Post by 1963corvette »

Thanks Arizona Shorty, I've been told and sent a pic that the Piston is a Reed with drilled holes on inlet side so will look for a Reed Manifold. You are right about cost of either replacing piston/ring/other, or buying a reed manifold are about the same costs, so going with the way the engine is currently configured and Hodaka improved design.
Thanks
Ron
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Just to be sure, you need the complete reed manifold assembly - which includes a reed cage and reed petals (in good condition).
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

If you cylinder has had boost ports cut into the cylinder wall above the intake port just putting in a stock piston will not work the boost ports would have to be epoxied then honed to the cylinder wall .

Rivh
1963corvette

Post by 1963corvette »

Thanks, yes will need the complete reed manifold with petals in good condition for 93 super rat
that will mate to 24mm carb. Thanks, Ron