71 Super Rat Road Kit?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
River Rat

71 Super Rat Road Kit?

Post by River Rat »

New user, just picked up a 71 Super Rat with correct frame and engine numbers. The bike is in garage find shape with the exception of the front forks. Both upper and lowers are badly pitted. Not sure if it's worth re chroming or looking for replacements.
The bike has a headlight and apparently came with a Road Kit, the rear fender has two holes for a tail light but not holes that would line up with a standard taillight. Any info on the Road Kit, what was included, and if this bike has any extra value with the headlight would be appreciated. I assume it has a different stator to power the lights?. Should I leave it as is because it's rare or can I convert it to a stock Super Rat.

I raced a 71 back in the day and my first bike was an Ace 90.

Thanks,
Dan
dirty_rat

Re: 71 Super Rat Road Kit?

Post by dirty_rat »

Not sure about the road kit, I never saw one for a Super Rat. The only ones I remember were for the Combat Wombat and I believe they had one for the Dirt Squirt. The ones I remember had a much smaller taillight than a standard taillight. The standard taillight was rather big and riding off-road much would cause the rear fender to break from the weight.

As for the forks, you can usually find a used set in great condition on internet sites ( or see if Paul has any used ones) for a LOT less money than trying to have re-chromed. I have seen good sets go for anywhere from $40 - $100. I have also seen trashed ones that people were asking $200+ for, so it might take some time and looking.

Good luck with the bike, and I would say build it the way you like it.
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Dirty-rat
Thanks, be interested to see if anyone has heard of a Road Kit for a Super Rat. The headlight seems to be original to the bike, it has a third wire from the stator that goes to the headlight and tail light with 2 switches on the headlight.
Dan
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

It would be easy to hang a B+ light and replace the stator to run lights. Lets see some photos of this project.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Dan, as a Hodaka Dealer during the first Super Rat era, there were no lighting kits that I was aware of for Model 93s. They were fitted with a lighting coil core only with no wire. It does sound like a fun project, have fun! (And welcome by the way).

Max
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

There never was a road kit for the Rat - or any other Hodie for that matter. There were TRAIL lighting kits for the Combat Wombat and the Dirt Squirt. The Squirt kit would have been a "bolt on" for the chrome tank Rat. That is almost certainly what you have.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

You could post pictures so we can see what you have. But with the high degree of interchangeability, it could be someone just put some 100B parts on it.
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Here is a pic of the headlight and the two holes in the rear fender. It would be helpful to know what the headlight is off of. I plan to return it stock with a front number plate.

Thanks to all!

Dan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

the headlight looks ace 100 A or 100 B and the rear holes look like the off road or endure taillight. I notice the clutch cable and it should route under the tank?------------Clarence
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Thanks Clarence! If anyone has a set of forks in good shape let me know, I have the headlight, a B taillight and fender and a Super Rat tank with a few dents and rust to sell or trade.
Dan
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I don't recognize the holes drilled in the rear fender. From very old recollection, I would have thought that a stock 100B fender would have three holes in a triangle, two for bolts, one for wire harness. So the fender is probably the original Rat fender that someone drilled. The headlight was just taken from another Hodaka. Presumably, so was the ignition/ lighting coil assembly in the magneto since the Rat didn't have a lighting coil. Best practice is to route the clutch cable behind the tank hold down, I.e., "under the tank." It appears in the photo to be in front of the hold down bolt which puts a bit of side load on the cable. It will work that way but should b smoother and a more direct line if routed behind the tank mount bolt.
captinr

Post by captinr »

Dan,
I would be interested in the lights for my Dirt Squirt, would need both
Thank you
Rodney Brown
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Rodney,
Yes, I will sell both head and tail light. Can you make me an offer?
Dan
captinr

Post by captinr »

Call me at your convenience 612-242-3414
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

In a special accessory edition of the Resonator, there is listed a trail lighting kit designed for the "Supers" (Super Rat and Super Combat). It's part number is 201615. From the description, this kit introduces a "flywheel effect" because of the necessary magneto-type flywheel which would undoubtedly impact the performance characteristics of their dedicated racing motors. It included head and tail lights, coil, magneto flywheel, harness, and mounting hardware. There are also listed several similar kits (part numbers 201600, 201601, 201602, and 201603) that Ed mentioned for the Combat Wombat and Road Toad. From their descriptions, some of these have lever-actuating switches for the tail light suggesting they were designed to make these models street-legal.
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

What type of ignition did these 97 and 98 lighting kits use?
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Matt, are you saying my RT with the light kit should have a larger flywheel in order to power the lights or would it just be a stator change? I have not pulled the cover to check. Let me know what to look for if that's the case. There are two switches on the headlight but they are slightly different. Thanks for finding the info in the road kit.
Dan
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hi River, If you go to the library on hodaka-parts and check the dealer (Dealee) binder, the first Resonator edition that comes up describes the conversion kit. It clearly mentions the magneto fly wheel and the advantage the heavier fly wheel has on mellowing the power of the race motors for enduro work. Check it out. You'll be able to see if your bike has the lighting coils when you pull the cover. The two switches may be for dim/bright or, depending on how the wiring harness is run, headlight and taillight.

Best,

Matt
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Matt,

Will do, thanks!

Dan
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

The Road Toad came with the full large external flywheel magneto system which was included with the lighting kits for the Super Combat. The Super Combat and the orange tank Super Rat came with an internal rotor CDI system specifically intended for race use (very low rotational inertia and no provision for powering lights). Installing the larger external flywheel system increased rotational inertia which generally improved power delivery characteristics for trail use and provided the necessary coils to power a lighting system. (In fewer words, the kit provided the same electrical power generation system as came on your Toad.)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Sorry I'm a new member. Where do I find the dealer binder and Resonator mentioned by Matt?
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Try this first. If you are a Hodaka Club member you can review all the past RR articles.

http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/Articles.asp?ID=252
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

For those interested here is the low down on the Trail Lighting Kit for the Super.
Dan
Attachments
image.png