Timing Issue Super Rat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
relee4

Timing Issue Super Rat

Post by relee4 »

Good Morning all!,

Well i have all ways been able to time my 1972 Super Rat in about 5 min start to finish, but that was back in the day. Now that i am at this point in my restoration i figured no big deal just get my continuity checker and put it on the ground wire and turn the fly wheel and when the light starts to come on look at the timing marks. I went all out, put a new stator, new points, condincer and wires. So the issue is the light is all ways on even if the points are open or closed.
I am doing something or did something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Zyx

Re: Timing Issue Super Rat

Post by Zyx »

The ground wire, by definition, is grounded. Connect one lead to the black ignition lead, one to the blue ignition lead, both in the harness coming out of the side case going up to the coil.
relee4

Post by relee4 »

Thanks for the quick response, i believe all i use to do was pop out the blue lead and connect the clip to it and put the other to the case and turn the fly wheel until the light went out. Now when try it the light is all ways on with either blue or black.

Thanks,
Bob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Bob, the light should only dim, not go completely out. I'll dig up the post "Timing the Hodaka" for you. If that doesn't work something is touching ground. Hope this helps!

Max
relee4

Post by relee4 »

ok great thank you!. Should have left it alone. : )
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

If you have an analog ohm meter, the needle swing is pretty clear to see, rather than using a light.