Hit the Dirt!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
viclioce

Hit the Dirt!

Post by viclioce »

OK. I had been riding the Hodaka around the local subdivision in which I live, twice to the bike shop and once to my daughter's house about a mile away. I decided that today was the day I was going to take her out into the dirt! My grandson and I loaded her up in the back of the truck and took the bike to a local, semi-maintained dirt track just off the bypass on the northwest side of town.

I started the bike, rode her out onto the track and started negotiating my way through rough clay hairpins, uphills and even a downhill jump. (Realize, it's been 40 years since I last rode a bike off road at all!) I was taking my time, trying to feel what she wanted to do, where and when I needed power and in what gear.

"Not too bad," I thought after having been away from it for so long. :lol:

I made it about 80% of the way through the first lap when it happened. I went into about a 6-7 foot high banked, tight, right U turn. There was about a foot of water in the bottom of the turn so I went high. But, I didn't have enough speed entering the turn and the rear end washed out down the berm and the bike high sided to the left, especially because I only had enduro tires on her. I buried the left handlebar in the sand and the clutch perch snapped behind the lever bolt.

I had to roll the bike down the berm and walk into the water (that's how I knew how deep it was!), and negotiate the front wheel around to the right so I could move out of the turn. Fortunately, I could hold the lever in position and still activate the clutch (Whew). So I was able to ride the bike the 200 or so yards back to the truck without pushing it, as long as I went slow and was careful.

We loaded the bike up and drove it home and put it in the garage. I cut off the grips, replaced the perch and remounted the clutch lever. I also made it to the bike shop to buy new grips just before they closed. Got home and put them on as well.

Oh well, live to ride another day! At least I didn't make an A$$ out of myself and do something like dump the whole bike and motor into the water! I need to go somewhere else, besides a track, and get used to how to handle and ride her so I don't do that again! But at least I didn't hurt myself and that's a GOOD THING!!! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Zyx

Re: Hit the Dirt!

Post by Zyx »

Sounds like you just need to go faster. :D
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

For sure Greg. Took the turn too high and too slow. But it was my first time on the dirt in 40 years. And I was on my first lap still trying to figure out the course and the bike. I was going slow but didn't go low because the bottom of the turn was full of water. I didn't read that the turn was full of sand when I entered it.

You can have experience but, with the BIG time gap in between, it was just a bad entry and one that was way too slow. And, I am almost 59 now. My body doesn't heal, or resist impacts, like it did when I was 18! And, my spine is nearly 70% fused from arthritis.

If I would have had knobbies on the bike it might have held better, but maybe not because the sand was soft and wet. A 175 lb bike with a 230 lb rider fell to the effects of gravity which was not overcome by centrifugal force!

I need to spend some time riding dirt trails, without bermed turns, to get a feel for her power band and rebuild my skills back up! I'm just glad I didn't get hurt! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

Whenever you ride, especially dirt riding, taking a dump is always a possibility. When I was young, trail riding was between hillclimbs and getting off the bike was the norm on those hills. Slow and easy is better for my old bones now. You may drop the bike more often going slow, but dropping it at speed is what's to be avoided. I like exploring off road, no competition needed for me. I just enjoy the outdoors, riding with my boys. I'm trying to get back into dirt riding more than just camping trips. I suggest heading for the woods and riding some trails. I just got back from camping and can't wait to get back out there riding again.

gm
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

The Bad Rock trail ride this year was the first dirt trip I had taken on the Hodaka in 41 years, or for that matter, any motorcycle ride on any bike. I did not go slow by choice. Fast is too much fun to pass up, so spent as much of the time possible going WFO. Then the motocross was my first ever. Only fell once, my fault, but not from going too fast. Would have gone faster if I could. 65 years old and still wanting to race. The moto was very cool I thought. It gives me an excuse to push the envelope. Old is a physical state; racing is a mental state. The bike doesn't know how old I am.
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

I agree totally, racing is a mental state. I think the problem with me mostly is while I like to go fast enough to feel good on the bike, I don't like the track where you go round and round. Getting there 1st or last is not important to me except being out front means no dust. I have thought about riding local ISDE but I probably need to practice more, a lot more, I want to finish. They have age classes for us over 60 guys too if you want to compete, or you can just ride it.
For speed a xr650r Honda will get you there, probably faster than you want at half throttle. You will not believe that kind of power the 1st time you get on it. It is a real hand full going slow too.

gm
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

At 317 pounds I am not sure the XR650R qualifies as a dirt bike. Besides, I have never been impressed with four stroke off road bikes. If you can't do it with a 250, it probably doesn't need to be done.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Greg. My Kawasaki F6 weighed over 220 lbs and it was a narrow, long stroke piston. It put out power but handled like crap! The comparable Yamaha and Suzuki models were quicker and handled much better. But I bought it so I rode it.

Speed is something that comes with experience. Experience with the bike and with the style of riding. It took me awhile before I pushed that old Kaw and there were some things it did well and some not so well. But I am still new to the Hodaka. Little time in the saddle, little experience with its power band, little experience with the way it handles. Only time will bring that experience to me. I'm not afraid to try and will get there eventually. Big difference between test riding a bike on the paved roadways and riding it on a dirt track. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Yes and Shorty I always figured if you can't do it on a 90 it doesn't need to be done. ------------Just Clarence
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

The xr650r is definitely not a MX bike but it is made for offroad and desert/Baja, if you race. I think any bike qualifies as a dirt bike if that is where you ride it. I like the 4 stroke power band, it is what I'm used to. I stalled the Super Rat twice on Bad Rock when I let the revs get down a little and didn't slip the clutch. Live and learn.
I cut down the seat on mine so I think it's lighter than 317, but I did add fast flex bars and a scott's damper so maybe not.
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

Victor, I'm new to Hodaka's too, my son got me started. Speed is also a state of mind, you can think your going fast until you notice a line of riders behind you.
Hodaka's are fun little bikes and the people you meet on them add to the experience.

gm
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

taber hodaka wrote:Yes and Shorty I always figured if you can't do it on a 90 it doesn't need to be done. ------------Just Clarence
I can do it on a 90. Just want a bit more most of the time. Or, you can look at it this way, my 125 will take me anywhere you can go on a 90.
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

sounds like a challenge!!!
Pass the popcorn please.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

fullchoke wrote:. ... you can think your going fast until you notice a line of riders behind you...
gm
One of those guys was probably me. I tried to be polite on the trail ride, but just had to pass from time to time. We used to do a 50 mile hare and hound in two hours. Pretty sure that the Bad Rock trail could be done in less. It would be great if we could actually do some of the original ISDT trail to get a taste of what it was like.
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

I 2nd that motion! Like down in the canyon below the cabin rest stop. If I could help with that, I would. Probably wouldn't work because of fire danger the time of year HD's is held and riding on USFS or BLM would be stricter in terms of spark arrestor inspection too.

I didn't pass the kid on the Kawasaki 110, just waited. I did pass a few people that got stuck often, but that was all. It was just a putt the way I looked at it cause if you pass one it won't be long before your up against another, since any skill level was welcomed. One thing that may work is if people rated their skill level 1-4 and had groups together with the same level, then started the highest level 1st and so on, there would probably be less congestion. If a high skill level rider wanted to ride lower fine, just ride with your group. Just a thought, but I had fun no matter.

gm
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I expect a lot of groups were made up just as you suggest, and those first to the line were eager, faster riders. So already doing that by choice if not design. Our group spanned all riding abilities, and started next to last. So I ran ahead and waited, repeat. No problem since it wasn't a race, but I couldn't resist some of the sections. Had to see if I could still do it. I can, which is a surprise. It helps that my bike is faster these days than it was in the 70's. Money and time make a difference.
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

Shorty, I was in the very 1st group, but one of our riders had a breakdown out about 5 minutes, so we watched many pass us until he got going. Once he got going and so many had passed us there wasn't much point in fighting the dust. I didn't think there was any regard to ability because women and kids were passing us while we were down and some wanted to pass me much later(going fast) when I rode behind the cloud in front of me. Like you say it wasn't a race and never intended to be one. I would suggest you practice a bit and know what you can do, just in case you find out you can't go like you once did. Sounds like your like me, I haven't rode dirt much in a long time and want to do more. We just need to get out more, less work and more fun!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Arizona:

You DID ride some of the original Bad Rock Two Day ISDT Qualifier trails! Yup. Some of the course sections - both road and trail - were actually used in the Bad Rock back in the 1970's.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Must have been the easy stretches. I thought it was a great trail ride, but not technical. One rutted downhill, a couple of dry creeks. Otherwise a pleasant day on the trail. It is very nice that the folks at Ryan's Grade and at the ranch are willing to host us and share their views of the countryside. It would be fun to do some of those stretches for time.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

fullchoke wrote:..... I would suggest you practice a bit and know what you can do, just in case you find out you can't go like you once did....
Oh, I know what I can do, just didn't know for how long I could do it. Turns out most of the process is still there after forty years. Knees and back didn't suffer like I thought they might. Every now and then I data overload and have to back off for a few seconds. But I was pleased to find how much is still buried in the brain. :D