Counter shaft oil leak

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
megawat

Counter shaft oil leak

Post by megawat »

Have a 1970 Ace 100, leaks around counter shaft so got a new seal and removed old one. Looking at parts diagram there appears to be a washer behind the seal, mine is missing, could this be my problem as seal looks good?
dcooke007

Re: Counter shaft oil leak

Post by dcooke007 »

Is the countershaft sprocket retained by a large nut or snap ring?

Danny
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The washer shown is inside the engine-- there's no washers between the seal and the bearing. The seal is bad or the O-ring #904621 on the control shaft has failed. Tap in the new seal and try it. If the collar that goes in the seal has an O-ring ( Most don't) it also could have failed. Also check your oil level in the crankcase--could be too full. Sometimes the collar that fits inside the seal has grooves worn in it that prevents sealing. If the nut that holds the sprocket on is loose will also cause leakage. Also, the leak just runs out on the sprocket and chain--If it's just minor don't worry about it , just keep an eye on the oil level. Again my opinion--hope this helps.

Max
OK, one more edit--Danny brought up the question about snap-ring or nut on the sprocket--The snap-ring version requires the O-ring collar because it cannot exert the pressure the nut can against the bearing. As I recall the snap-ring countershaft was only used on the 4 to 5 speed conversions both close and wide ratio. Maybe on some early 100s? It is shown on the parts list for Ace 100s but I never encountered any.
Last edited by hodakamax on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Automatic chain oiler ?? :lol:
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

That's the reason I don't worry about it unless it's severe--It all goes to a good cause--

Max
Dale

Post by Dale »

Often people find that the counter shafts sprocket has loosened up. It does not take much to allow it to leak. Easy to check...

Edit; Sorry Max, I see that I repeated what you had already stated...
Dale
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Dale--It's OK--After sending the post I was in bed and remembered exactly that very thing. I had to edit mine in pajamas last night(LOL). I think our paths crossed in the night.
Cheers
Maxie
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Danny asks is there a nut or a c clip. The c clip would not be super tight how could it seal. If you let it drip too much, some might take it for a Harley-------------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Funny Clarence--I did edit it once more which answers your question--You guys are sharp, don't miss a thing--

Maxie
megawat

Post by megawat »

Thanks guys, counter shaft has a nut which was snug. Have a new seal, collar, nut and lock ring so hoping for the best. Also have o ring for control shaft but assume that requires engine tear down. Also opinions on best gear box oil?
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Sounds like you are set--the O-ring on the control shaft rarely fails--save it and install it with new shifter springs when the time comes. As for the oil I use Mobil 1 synthetic Racing 4T 10W-40 in everything with a wet clutch. I'm sure the Guys (and Gals) will have some other excellent choices.
later
Max
megawat

Post by megawat »

Thanks hodakamax, going back together this afternoon.