Webco Hodaka Cylinder Questions

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
AndyL

Webco Hodaka Cylinder Questions

Post by AndyL »

I am looking at a Webco cylinder, head and reed set up here locally, supposed to have been part of a kit for flat tracking the early Hodaka 90cc Ace. I was told the Webco flat track kit was a cylinder, head, pipe, Gem reed set up, and billet trans dip stick.

Does anyone know if stock Hodaka pistons will work or was there a special Webco piston for the cylinder?

Thanks.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
Zyx

Re: Webco Hodaka Cylinder Questions

Post by Zyx »

Measure the cylinder to see if it is a 90 or a 100, or for that matter, 125. I am thinking stock pistons will work if it is a 100 because it used the stock connecting rod, but I haven't built a Webco smaller than the Webco 125 kit made for the 100 engine. In my case stock pistons do not work because the connecting rod is a 100 but the bore is for 125, and Hodaka didn't make 125 pistons with upper bearings as small as the 100, so it is a custom piston. Someone here is going to have first hand info on the smaller Webco kits.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Andy did get your email. Sorry been out of town the past few days. I will send an email in the morning. Stock Hodaka ART Ace 90 piston drilled for the reed valve is what you need
Paul
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Paul and AZ,
I figured you were busy. No worries.

The cylinder is marked 98cc's (I can read it on a different picture than the one below) and measures out at 50mm bore. Looks like a typical ACE 100 cylinder with two studs mounting the reed setup.

So I figure it is an ACE cylinder and not a Super Rat cylinder because it only has the two mounting studs for the reed.

So I suspect that a stock ACE 100 piston, drilled for reeds or a stock Super Rat piston would work....................??? Correct?

Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I hope this helps!!
Paul
Attachments
webco0001.jpg
webco0002.jpg
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Wow! nice post Paul. Yikes! I was alive then and got those flyers at the shop---Scary! :shock: (don't you love those prices?)

Maxie

PS--I have that head that I'm using on the "Day One" project. (It's about time for an update.)
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

If the cylinder is a Webco marked 98cc and measures 50mm it's a 100, not a 90. But the answer to the original question is the same. Stock Hodaka piston will work. If there is one already cut for reed induction, better yet, but we used to drill pistons that were not intended and they work fine. Lucky you, you can still get parts. Pistons and rings for the 125 kit are extra rare. So that project is back burner for now. Sounds like you now know how to proceed.
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Wow! Paul.

I love the look of that TT/tracker on the ad. Gonna put it up in the shop, and will try to build one like it.

Thanks AZ for the info. The cylinder measures out at just a tick under 50mm, so standard bore.

I am going to make a deal with the guy to buy it. Here is what I am negotiating for: Feel free to give me your opinion on what its worth. I will go work the deal Friday. (this is all he has, the rest of the stuff got lost).

Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I hate to say it, but that cylinder looks like a standard super rat cylinder (except for only having 2 intake manifold bolts instead of 4). The reason I say a super rat cylinder instead of an Ace cylinder is because of the semi-circular cuts on the side fins (the super rat cylinders were cast with them, the Ace did not have these). The cylinder looks like an all cast iron cylinder, where the Webco cylinder had a case liner with aluminum fins. The head does look like a Webco head. I could be wrong, but from the picture, it looks like a cast cylinder.
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

I agree DR.
I have only seen the pictures and talked with him on the phone about it. I figured it was a standard Hodaka cylinder that had been ported because it has all the Hodaka markings and no Webco stampings at all.

I had concerns, so I shot him a very low price, he wasnt pleased, but didnt say no, and we will talk about it later today when I finally get to see the parts in person.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Andy the cylinder is an early Super Rat (93) from the looks of it. The very first ones ( 100MX) had a rectangular intake but used two studs instead of four.
The code number was 932505 then changed to 932511 when they went to the four bolt intake manifold.
I hope this helps!
Thanks
Paul
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Paul, I was trying to figure that one out. I sometimes can't remember what happened last Thursday let alone things 40+ years ago! :lol: I was guessing they had drilled new stud holes between the old ones to match the manifold they had. Hmmm.

Max
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

The Webco fins would extend out past the reed block. When you are all done, could you let us know the price range.-----------Clarence
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I saw one other super rat cylinder with the two bolt intake. It was listed on e-bay a few years ago and they had very good pictures with the listing. When looking at the pictures, it was obviously a super rat cylinder and not an Ace cylinder. At the time I thought it was a manufacturing mistake, but now I learn it was just a very early part, good to know.

Another thing with the Webco cylinder, it had a bolt on exhaust manifold, not the super rat's screw on type. The cylinder in the picture has the screw on exhaust.
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

It is definitely an early SR cylinder and a webco head. Not sure where the reed intake comes from. Pretty nice porting job on it, looks very nice and it is a standard bore.

I saw pictures of the bike it came off of, when it ran many years ago; very similar to the one in the ad from Paul.

Price isnt really reflective of the market, I got it for a sweet deal, as last month, I hooked the same guy up with a nice 1978 KTM GS/MC80 motor (175cc) that I had in my shop. He was just returning the favor.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA