Swingarm bushing R&R

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
TommyJ

Swingarm bushing R&R

Post by TommyJ »

Gentleguys,
I'm prepping the frame of my Ace 100 for powder coating and am puzzled by the chromed steel bushings in the swingarm. The Clymer manual exploded view shows the swingarm with the bushings in place- as one component. That doesn't seem right. Should the bushings be removed with a long drift? Or should they be left in situ and masked off during beadblasting and powder coating? Thanks for the help!
TommyJ
BrianZ

Re: Swingarm bushing R&R

Post by BrianZ »

Just to clarify, these "bushings" are not really bushings in the traditional sense, but rather spacers. Once the swingarm axle is tightened these spacers are drawn up tight against the rubber bushings in the frame, and the rubber bushings flex to allow the swingarm to move. Now, getting back to your question, in the past I have removed the spacers to have them replated (they are zinc plated) and then reinstalled them in the newly powder coated swingarm. In my opinion this is the "correct" restoration method. You can also mask them or paint them depending on how authentic you want the bike to look. If I remember correctly, they can be a bugger to get out!

Brian
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

One thing you may want to find out, are replacements available if I destroy these getting them out?
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

I would just tape them off.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

If the outer faces of those "bushings" are not worn, I'd recommend leaving them in place and masking them off.

This particular bushing is not a "wear" part. It press fits into the swing arm . . . and then when the swing arm bolt is tightened, the complete swing arm assembly (including these bushings) is clamped tight against the inner sleeve of the bushing which is pressed into the frame. The inner sleeve in the frame bushing is allowed to rotate a bit by the surrounding rubber. In this way, ALL part-to-part movement is eliminated - hence, no wear. (all movement is focused in the rubber part of the frame bushing).

However, IF, the swing arm bolt happened to be loose for a considerable stretch of riding, then the face of swing arm bushings could have been "dished out" -- which means they should be replaced. I don't think those are available as spare parts - but they are easily manufactured out of mild steel on a lathe.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes Ed you are correct these "end caps" to the swingarm are not a stock Hodaka part. They were never offered as a replacement part.
Thank you
Paul
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Thanks, guys! In they stay.
TommyJ