Combat Wombat Tech Specs

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zyx

Combat Wombat Tech Specs

Post by Zyx »

Does anyone have tech specs for the Combat Wombat? Specifically looking for the primary gear ratio, tooth count for main and counter shafts for first through fifth, stock final drive tooth count on sprockets, and gear tooth module for the main and countershaft gears.

Thanks.
AndyL

Re: Combat Wombat Tech Specs

Post by AndyL »

Dont have my notes at work for the count on the main shaft gears (xmas tree), but here is what I have at hand for a model 95:

59T primary (find a cushioned primary if you can)
Counter shaft gears
1st: 31t
2nd: 28t
3rd: 25t
4th: 22t
5th: 20t

1st thru 4th counter shaft gears are same as a Wombat, 5th is the only one that is Combat specific.

Secondary sprocket varied from 13t to 16t
Rear sprocket varied from 50t up to 66t

I prefer a 15t secondary sprocket and a 60t to 64t rear sprocket, (4:1 ratio) but it is mostly for the local short MX tracks and my weight to keep the momentum up.

Once you get into the model 97 and 98 gears you will find they are mostly model specific and dont cross over to the Wombat (94)or Combat (94).
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Thanks. That answers most of my questions, but raises another. I notice that the Wombat had an O/D 5th gear, with a 19 tooth countershaft gear as opposed to the 20 tooth on the Combat. Yet, the schematics show the same mainshaft assembly for both bikes. Trying to figure out how the same mainshaft could service both a 19 tooth gear and a 20 tooth gear. The Wombat has a gear tooth module of 2.0 so I am assuming the Combat had the same module if they share main shafts. But then I can't see how both a 19 and a 20 would run off the same driver. Curious.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

We are all curious about how that was done -- but it was. The mainshaft for the Wombat and the Combat Wombat are EXACTLY the same.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Is a "cushioned" primary the helical cut gears or am I missing something?
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Nope. The Super Combat and orange tank Rat ultimately got cushioned straight cut primary gears. there are 6 urethane cushions built into the large primary gear to reduce peak shock loads in the drive train. Ya'll out to find a set.

Ed
PS: With the engine you have, it would be highly recommended to install the later cushioned rear hub . . . with the new (and better) urethane cushions from Strictly Hodaka.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Ooops. That should have been, "Ya'll ought to find a set."

Ed
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I found the primary gear for the 97 on SH website by wandering around in engine parts. Haven't seen one before, but there it was. Ordered.

As for the rear hub, that would require a transplant of many parts, including sprockets, spacers, and brake parts, not all of which are available over the counter. If I start a stable of donor bikes, my wife will revolt. Plus, I have basically a model 93 rear hub on a model 92 swing arm and a model 92 frame, albeit highly modified. Given widths and spacing with my 4 bolt hub, I have to use an offset rear sprocket plus a quarter inch sprocket spacer to shift the chain into line with the front sprocket, which is dished versus flat. All in 420. Starting over with a later model cushioned hub would mean finding correct offset if any for rear versus front sprocket and 428 chain which I would rather use, but have to draw the line somewhere.
Last edited by Zyx on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Just FYI, Paul has the tech specs posted online for the various models. When you select the shop schematics for a specific model, there is a link to view the specs.
Dale
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

If you are considering swapping the rear hub, the cushioned hub uses a larger diameter axle so you will either require a later swingarm or you will need to modify the one you have. As for getting the later cushioned hub parts, it should be fairly easy to find finding second hand stuff. Of course you will still likely need new brakes, bearings, seals, etc.

Brian
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

ddvorak wrote:Just FYI, Paul has the tech specs posted online for the various models. When you select the shop schematics for a specific model, there is a link to view the specs.
Didn't know that. Still finding my way around the website. Thanks.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

BrianZ wrote:If you are considering swapping the rear hub, the cushioned hub uses a larger diameter axle so you will either require a later swingarm or you will need to modify the one you have. As for getting the later cushioned hub parts, it should be fairly easy to find finding second hand stuff. Of course you will still likely need new brakes, bearings, seals, etc.

Brian
Modifying what I have would be simple enough. I figured to run what I have until it proves to be too weak, or until I stumble on an assembly that I can't pass up.