Ace 90 Shifter Window

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Pep

Ace 90 Shifter Window

Post by Pep »

Hi folks, I was chugging along on my not-such-a-creampuff project, and came across a something new to me.
The little window cover on this shifter is blank. Same dimensions as early ones with "Hodaka" on them, and same patent number, but most definitely blank.
The patent number is identical, but the type/font is different.
Were these replacements? Or found on real early engines?
Just curious.
Laurie
Attachments
IMG_6215.jpg
Charlie R

Re: Ace 90 Shifter Window

Post by Charlie R »

I'll take a shot here Laurie. The 125 shift covers use a blank inspection covers. Not sure about the early 90's....I have an early 65. I've never paid attention honestly! I'll check it.

Charlie R.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Fun trivia--I think the 90s were blank-- all 100s were labeled and blank again starting with the 94 Wombat. Hmmmm--testing the old brain.

Maxie
megawat

Post by megawat »

As I recall the Yamaguchi 80's which predated the Ace 90 had a blank cover.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Thanks guys. Charlie, yes, the later shifters are blank, but dimensionally different - way flatter. The early ones are thick and have more depth, plus cut at a bit of an angle. Every one I've seen has always had "Hodaka" printed on it. I'm curious about yours now!

I've heard the early Ace's didn't have any marks on the engine covers (I've never had a 90 early enough to be totally blank). All the Ace 90's I've dealt with (granted, only a handful) sported window covers with Hodaka on them.

Pretty easy part to get swapped around over the years...

So I'm guessing this came off a real early cover or maybe an old Yamaguchi?

Or maybe all my 90's have 100 window covers :oops:
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Well I think there were three / 90 covers as I recall. I personally call the first ace 90's prototypes, because for a short while many of their parts were very different than what I call the production model. 1 The handle bar holder was narrower and HODAKA was engraved in instead of raised, the handle plate and the frame were different. I have a shifter cover that is engraved just like the early handle bar holder. I have also seen early blank ones and those with raised letters. The first ace 90 covers '"shift and clutch"' were blank just like the Yamaguchi. The 50cc Yamaguchi shift cover was blank.-----------Clarence
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

Just a random thought or two-----Maybe someone ground the logo off to repair road rash, or to reduce weight and improve aerodynamics on their high speed racer ;)

I couldn't resist taking a shot in the dark and adding my two cents worth.

Tom
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Tom I am just trying to remember what I think I recall. oo I just remembered I need to take my eye drops------Clarence
I will take a picture of the engraved cover and see if I can post.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

early shift cover picture .this is my first try at photos I guess I will go back and read. -----Clarence
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

DSCN1005.JPG
I think I did it ----------Clarencei