Ignition coil

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Ed-de

Ignition coil

Post by Ed-de »

I have a pics below of two ignition coils and tring to figure out which coil belongs to a super rat . The one coil on the left looks like the same one that i have on my wombat but bought it a thinking it is for the super rat. I don't think so because the super rat frame i have does not have a welded on frame bracket . The coil on the right hand side has a bracket the seem like it clamps on to the frame .
Attachments
image.jpg
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Ignition coil

Post by Bullfrog »

While I can't tell you exactly what coil is on the left . . . it certainly appears to be an OEM Hodaka coil.

The coil on the right is NOT an OEM Hodaka coil. (It is from something else.)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

The coil on the left looks like an Ace 100 or Wombat coil (they were the same). The coil on the right, like Ed says, is not a Hodaka coil, but the mounting bracket (the part that clamps to the frame) looks like it came from a 93 Super Rat. Somebody has "adapted" another style coil to fit the Super Rat mounting bracket.

Brian
Ed-de

Post by Ed-de »

Thanks for the info guys . One thing that is wierd is the there is no place to mount the coil on the left side of pick there is no or no sign of there ever being a welded on bracket of the frame. Plus the coil from the left hand side of the pic does not fit on the bracket from the right hand side of the pic , so i am kind of stumped which way to mount the coil the orignal way.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

The 93 Super Rats did not have any brackets welded to the frame for mounting the coil. The bracket, which you have in the right picture, clamped around the frame tube. The Super Rat coil is different than the Ace/Wombat coil. It has two studs that secure it to the mounting bracket. Have a look at the Super Rat parts diagram and all will be revealed.

Brian
Ed-de

Post by Ed-de »

Thanks for the info , now i can get it runing.
Ed-de

Post by Ed-de »

I managed to take the bracket from the coil on the right hand side of the picture and modified to fit on to the coil from the left hand side of the picture and i did get good spark when i gave it a crank. Would it matter if i kept that coil on there or is there a difference in the current of the coils.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Judging from the electrical spec on the various ignition coils used in the Ace 100, 100B, and 100MX, the MX version steps up voltage nearly twice as much as the trail versions. However, they all work. The Ace 100 and 100B engines were intended for a lower revving, less stressed application, while the MX was intended to be pushed more. The hotter spark tends to resist blow out at high revs.

Not knowing which of the bikes the gray coil came from, I can't say whether it is from a 100 or 100B or perhaps even one of the 125s. Doesn't really matter. If it works, use it. The worst that will happen is that the spark may be a bit weak at high revs and it might misfire a bit if you are at or near red line. If it does, source another coil from a rat, but I doubt you will have a problem with the one you have.

GMc
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Ditto what AZ Shorty said... I was writing the same thing, but he beat me to it. ;)
Ed-de

Post by Ed-de »

Thanks a alot , this forum is a great resource of information