Shifter Arm Pin Removal

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
shunt

Shifter Arm Pin Removal

Post by shunt »

Just a quick one, what is the process for removing the Shifter Arm Pin from the Magneto Cover, I remember vaguely reading a thread awhile ago that I thought covered this but I have not been able to find it via 'key word searches', any help on this one is appreciated.

"Shift Cover Rebuild Tips" what a great informative thread Danny, I am sure there is a heap of guys beyond myself out in Hodaka Cyber Space, that have had the cover of black magic lifted off this task, thru your step by step description and photos.

Shane
racerclam

Re: Shifter Arm Pin Removal

Post by racerclam »

Remove the grease fitting behind it , then I use a cotter pin remover since it has a 90 degree bend and insert it through the hole in the flywheel side of the pin hole and push it through.

Rich
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Hey Shane,

Happy to be of assistance.

Danny Cooke
shunt

Post by shunt »

Thanks Rich I will give it a go on the weekend, in relation to fitting the new pin I am presuming that the pin is an interference fit if so how much of an interference (it is a gentle tap fit or does it have to be pressed in).

Thanks Shane
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

If you find yourself using more than a gentle tap the shims are not aligned up correctly with the hole and you will damage them.

Rich
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

The shifter arm pivot pin is more of a free sliding fit than an interference fit . . . though it does seem to tighten up a bit as it approaches being fully inserted. As mentioned, be quite careful to achieve proper alignment of the shims so they won't be bent/damaged as the pivot pin is slid home.

Below is a scan of a photo and text from the Official Hodaka Workshop Manual for the model 94/95. Ya'll ought to consider getting one.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
shunt

Post by shunt »

Thanks Rich & Ed I am sold on the Workshop Manual will order one with my next bundle of stuff from SH.

Shane