94 No Spark

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Forrest

94 No Spark

Post by Forrest »

I just did the top end of my 94 that I recently bought and all went together well. I got a key for the ignition and went to check for spark and got nothing. Now I bought new points and condenser, but haven't installed them yet because the flywheel nut looks rusty and I don't have a "good" puller. I figure if the bike seized it must have had a spark when it did, lol. I gave the points a clean and then thought perhaps this bike might need a battery to start (although I doubt it, but nothing in the manual) The wiring looks clean even after the addition of a preston petty headlight/number plate, I got the headlight to come on. So I'm wondering what I might check. (Guessing someone will post "put in the new points and condenser" :lol: )
-Forrest
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
http://www.goomer.com/honda/
Mountain

Re: 94 No Spark

Post by Mountain »

Hello, I just had the same problem on my Ace100 and I ended up getting a used stator plate and coil from Bruce in Idaho, I put it and whammo... Spark! Now I have to figure out why I am only getting 30LBS of compression out of my bike. Good luck with figuring this one out, I know it can be super frustrating.
MTN
Ace 100
64 Bridgestone BS7
"lil" Indian mini
71 Rupp Roadster 2
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I got spark after finding the magneto removal tool and swapping out the points and condenser. Not sure but it looked like one wire was possibly grounding out on the side of the condenser. Took the 2 soldering iron method to get it off so I might have bared the wire there. I used some liquid electrical tape to fix the insulation, when I re-soldered I first soldered the 4 wires together and then put them on the condenser held down with the 1st wrap, it seems my solder to the wrap is good, but it did not solder to the button on top of the condenser. Is this ok or should I try again? I have a good spark.

The ignition switch seems to be working correctly also.

Thanks, Forrest
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Soldering to the wrap will give you a good electrical connection, but vibration may cause the joint to fatigue and break some time down the road. I'm not going to say it will break, but it could. It is preferable to get a good solder joint to the terminal on the condenser for a more secure mechanical (as well as electrical) connection.

Brian
RHall1972

Post by RHall1972 »

Danny Cooke posted some great "condenser wiring" pics in an earlier thread that might be helpful. You can view them here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=264
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Yes I saw Danny's work, very clean. I was a little worried about overheating the condenser with the iron on it for so long, also roughed up the terminal a bit hoping the solder might grab it, I was also thought about insulation melting, I was considering dressing the top of the condenser with liquid electrical tape as an insulator, but considered it might make it get too hot. I also thought about a micro terminal that would be easier to solder to and one wire from that to the condenser ....but.....