Problem with my 94a after about one mile of riding.

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
amanda11270

Problem with my 94a after about one mile of riding.

Post by amanda11270 »

My 94A starts to miss and carry on after about one mile into riding. It seems I can ride it all around my yard that is like 6 acres for about 15 mintues with no problem. Today was the first I took it out on the street legally and after about a mile it started missing, then it would be okay only briefly, then it would miss, did this about two miles and I headed back. I stopped at a park briefly, a mile from my house, then it was okay again and I just made it home before it was acting up again.

When it started missing, I could baby it and keep it running so it didnt leave me sitting by finding a spot where it would almost run smooth. But if I tried to gas it hard it would miss real bad.

I have replaced my carb with a brand new one! New spark plug, new points also, tank is clean inside, new fuel lines with filter. What I havent replaced are any of the coils inside the magneto, condenser or the ignition coil.
Dale

Re: Problem with my 94a after about one mile of riding.

Post by Dale »

Condenser. Classic symptoms for a bad condenser.
Dale
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

What ddvorak says.

I had a classic condenser issue and nearly depleted my retirement account by buying many new spark plugs - unnecessarily - because I thought they were fouling. Also sized down the main jet and leaned out the premix attempting to solve the issue.

I've come to understand that 90 percent of fuel and carburetion problems are in the ignition.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I would pull the gas line off at the carburetor, just to make sure plenty of gas is flowing. I still have had very few bad condensers. -----------Clarence
amanda11270

Post by amanda11270 »

I knew you guys were gonna say condenser, i should of replaced it already.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Maybe -- just maybe -- the gas cap vent is plugged. But I still put my money down on a bad condenser.
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

Bad condensers will act up when they get hot. After a cool down, you are on your way again until it again gets hot. And so on.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Amamda
I went through the same thing with my 94A. It would do the same as yours. I asked the same question on a previous post and got alot of great answers.
I changed the coil plus everything else in the ignition , but kept having the same problem. I changed the jets for my area and still the thing would start to miss. I saw a small leak under the right cover and took it off replaced the gasket and also pored more gas in the tank, wrong mix I think and did a vacum test and now it runs great so far.
Thanks
MTRob
amanda11270

Post by amanda11270 »

Condenser replaced problem gone.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Amamda
Did you have your headlights on while this was happening?
MTRob
amanda11270

Post by amanda11270 »

It would do it headlamp or not, I was trying everything to get it to ride without missing that day. It was definitely the condenser, ridden it a few times since replacing it, and problem solved.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Amanda
My 125 Wombat 94A runs great and strong, then one night I took it out with the headlights on and road for about 2 hours, then all of a sudden it started to miss and run like poo. I turned the headlight off and it ran great again. Turned the light back on and it started missing again. Tell me what you think of that.
MTROB
amanda11270

Post by amanda11270 »

I would check a wiring diagram to make certain it is wired correct thru the ignition switch, however if it runs fine for a while first, then after a while it starts to do this it sounds like a component may be heating up and only acts up when it does, like maybe a coil or as in my case it was the condenser. I never would of thought that little thing could of caused all my problems, but it did cause it runs great now.