Engine Number and difference between 100B and B+

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
megawat

Engine Number and difference between 100B and B+

Post by megawat »

When Hodaka transitioned from 100B to 100B+ at what engine number did transition begin. Also what are the differences between the engines.
Thanks, Don
RichardMott

Re: Engine Number and difference between 100B and B+

Post by RichardMott »

The following link will take you to the SH web page chart. Click on the chart to see the engine and frame numbers. I had thought there was a difference in the gear ratios between the B and B+, but after looking at the parts list, they seem to be the same. I think the main difference between the B and B+ is the Cush-hub, high front fender and the resettable odometer. I recently bought a 100 B that is mostly complete, Oct-1970 on the frame. I also have a 100 B+ I bought new in 1973. November 1971 is the date on the steering head.
I have the latest Hodaka book. I confirmed my frame and engine numbers. There has been in years past a discrepancy as to what determined a B+.

http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/Articles.asp?ID=251
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

The information I have is that the B+ model started with engine number P-55852.

At some point in time the crankcase casting changed. I'm not sure at what serial number the change took place, but I do know it happened somewhere between P46000 and P60000, judging from the serial numbers I have seen. I suspect the change was occurred when the B+ was introduced (S/N P-55852), but that is only speculation on my part. The most noticeable difference between the castings is that the later casting has a lot more material where the cylinder meets the crankcases. However, if you examine the castings you will see a myriad of smaller changes as well.

Brian
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

The engine internals were the same, the cases did change somewhere around that time. As noted above, there was more material around the base gasket area (which was necessary for the cases to be used with slight modifications for the 125 bottom ends). The other modifications to the cases were also probably made to beef them up to accept the 125's extra power.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

The 92 went from A17385 to A38712. The 92A began with A38713 and went to A51012, then the 92B started with A51013. I would also like to know the beginning and ending numbers for the 92B+. -------------Clarence
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/Articles.asp?ID=251

Click on the link above for your answers.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!