What tail light/brake light bulb are you guys using?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
amanda11270

What tail light/brake light bulb are you guys using?

Post by amanda11270 »

I have an 1154 tail light bulb that keeps burning out the brake light, it was in the bike when I bought it burnt out, I have since burnt out two more, just the brake light portion not the tail light. I'm thinking it's not the right bulb, my speedo lights are 7.4 volt I noticed, do I need a 7.4 tail light also?
rlkarren

Re: What tail light/brake light bulb are you guys using?

Post by rlkarren »

I use an 1154 also. It's just easier to replace if it blows, (but I have yet to blow one).

Something is not quite right with your wiring if it's blowing out the stop light that quick. The stop light and speedo light should be running directly off the battery, which acts as a voltage regulator to protect the bulbs from burn out from over voltage. I have a feeling that your stop light is somehow wired into the AC current from the magneto.. or... your rectifier is going bad. How is your battery health? A bad rectifier will cook your battery. If you're missing the battery or it's gone bad, that could also be the reason. In the absence of a battery or battery failure, you must at least have a voltage regulator, (this is in addition to the one that protects the headlamp and taillight). Lamps, such as the ones used on Hodaka, don't care if they are getting AC or DC current, but it cannot exceed it's voltage or it will blow. I've seen my magneto output between 4 and up to 14v. This variable voltage, relative to RPM's, will take quite a toll on light bulbs if not checked with a regulator of some kind.

Take a look at my simplified wiring diagram here: http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/v/vspfile ... iagram.jpg.

Pay particular attention to the Red and Blue wires. I might suggest printing it out and tracing the wires with red and blue colored pencils to get a better perspective. They are your DC and battery charging circuits. The DC circuit powers your Stop lamp, Horn, Speedometer light, and also keeps the battery charged, regardless of key position 1 or 2.

Roger

PS: I was just thinking that if you needed to re-wire your wire harness, this would be a great place to start; re-wire your DC circuit.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Try checking voltage at the stop lamp socket. If you have a meter that discriminates between AC and DC, you get two answers with one check.
amanda11270

Post by amanda11270 »

Thanks for that diagram, I'm gonna print it and trace my wires out as well as do a voltage check.
amanda11270

Post by amanda11270 »

My first bulb in the pack of two I had (1154) burnt out, the second turns out did not. It was a loose connection at the socket, must have been a fluke. I thought the 1154 was not a good candidate, I jumped the gun on the bulb "blowing". With all I read I thought for sure it was the bulb again.