76 Road Toad (02) - Workshop manual?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
COAce100

76 Road Toad (02) - Workshop manual?

Post by COAce100 »

Maybe I'm missing it, but I haven't found a workshop manual that covers the 76 toad. I assume its pretty much the same as previous years toads with the exception of the gas tank. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!
hodakaguy

Re: 76 Road Toad (02) - Workshop manual?

Post by hodakaguy »

I don't know that one exists at all (at least these days, maybe the factory had them when they were around and there are no surviving ones). I would like to have one too.
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

The closest you will get is the combat wombat work shop manual. and an 02 owners book. but that is all you should need to fix anything on the roadtoad.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry there never was an official Hodaka Workshop manual made that covered any bikes after a 1973 manufacture date.
Paul
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello Paul, little confused, I bought a yellow official dealer work book, while at this years Hodaka Days, inside there where several unused workshop manuals and illustrated parts books. There where two Road Toad manuals and Ill. parts list books in the big book, one for model 100/99 Frame number H-13201, eng., M-01001, White with green print on cover. Then the most important, Bright green book cover for a Road Toad 100/02 Frame number L-24201 and eng., # M-12001, that puts this manual in the 1976 time line. Is this a reprint of something or the original Manuals.

Not for sale, but if this person wish,s copy made they can contact me , Bruce Young, Hodakaparts.com IDAHO, [email protected] Thanks
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Bruce, those were "Owners Manual and Illustrated Parts List" . . . not "Official Workshop Manual". No "Official Workshop Manuals" were produced for models after the Model 95 (Combat Wombat).

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes Bruce these are Owners Manuals/Illustrated parts lists and those yes we do have. But there was not an Official Workshop manual for the Toads or any models made after 1973. Clymer put out a manual but really was a lot of misinformation rather than information.
When we were working on the Hodaka Book I was speaking to the Captain about how great the Wombat/Combat Wombat Workshop manual was. By far the best manual Hodaka offered. I believe he said thanks that was my project I worked on for PABATCO :-)
Thanks Capt. for a great job well done!
Paul
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

yes thanks' Ed!!! it's a great book!
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, Paul and Ed thanks for the correction education. It would be nice if someone would go to work on a updated Road Toad 99 and 02 workshop manual, would it not be a fairly simple trick, using the info we current have on the 100,s and we already have the parts break down stuff, it seems one could just add some specific model options for the Toads and get to a point that a present day manual could be assembled from other manuals. What are your thoughts. Bruce I am not volunteering. I have my Hangtown MX the first ten years history project going and time is at a premium, these days.
hodakaguy

Post by hodakaguy »

I have restored a 93 Super Rat, 98 Super Rat and a 1972 Wombat to date. I will be finishing all of them (minor details on each) this fall.
I have a total custom Super Wombat project that I started and am shelving for a while. The very last Hodaka project will be a 99 Road Toad. I think I will write a complete service manual while rebuilding the bike. I have been compiling every bit of official and non-official information that I can find for a while now. This might be a fun project. I will take pictures of every step of engine rebuilding and frame\electrical systems. I can treat the entire manual in the true Hodaka way using some sense of humor along with every tip I can find. I will see how it goes this winter.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

hodakaguy wrote:I have restored a 93 Super Rat, 98 Super Rat and a 1972 Wombat to date. I will be finishing all of them (minor details on each) this fall.
I have a total custom Super Wombat project that I started and am shelving for a while. The very last Hodaka project will be a 99 Road Toad. I think I will write a complete service manual while rebuilding the bike. I have been compiling every bit of official and non-official information that I can find for a while now. This might be a fun project. I will take pictures of every step of engine rebuilding and frame\electrical systems. I can treat the entire manual in the true Hodaka way using some sense of humor along with every tip I can find. I will see how it goes this winter.
Hello, Hodaka World, this is exactly what I was talking about. I think you could do a great job, if I might suggest about this manual program, if I where doing one I would follow the Hodaka Manuals for other models as a guide for all to use. That way this project would fit right into the Manuals already out there. Except for pictures of the machine you are using, much of the info is in the other manuals for that engine model would work quite well for all concerned, and it would make it an easier project for you. Great to hear someone out there was hearing what I suggested. Looking forward to see what comes out of this, if you need any help please call. Bruce

Another follow-up as I have suggested before, the forum would be even better than it is now if it would be set up in categories for repairs and such, Engine, Transmission, Forks, Electrical, Frames, and such. That way when one is looking for info on a project they could go direct to the category needed for info. I know you can use the search area, but in addition, the best info people have submitted be put info categories it would be easier to look for the best info that was submitted, without all the other conversations, that sometimes run a little afield. Just a suggestion. Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com IDAHO
COAce100

Post by COAce100 »

[email protected] wrote:Hello Paul, little confused, I bought a yellow official dealer work book, while at this years Hodaka Days, inside there where several unused workshop manuals and illustrated parts books. There where two Road Toad manuals and Ill. parts list books in the big book, one for model 100/99 Frame number H-13201, eng., M-01001, White with green print on cover. Then the most important, Bright green book cover for a Road Toad 100/02 Frame number L-24201 and eng., # M-12001, that puts this manual in the 1976 time line. Is this a reprint of something or the original Manuals.

Not for sale, but if this person wish,s copy made they can contact me , Bruce Young, Hodakaparts.com IDAHO, [email protected] Thanks
Thanks Bruce! I think that would be a good place to start. The main pieces I want to break down are the oil delivery system and electricals. Other than that it'd be nice to at least know factory specs for that stuff. I'll send you an email.

I'd like to try and dig up some NOS blinkers down the line.(Heard that could be a tall order). Anyone found anything close to comparable or have any tips on OEM?
hodakaguy

Post by hodakaguy »

Alright. Let the fun begin. I started the manual. The cover teaser is here.
Attachments
RT Manual Cover.png
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, please put eng and frame starting and ending numbers on the front of Manual so the readers can,t go wrong if they just read. Don,t simply hope they know what model they have, this is a great start, If I can help in any way let me know. Please keep the pics short and sweet, and too the point. Don,t overdue, some we see in the forum, go too long and string things out. Tell the story with pics but always double check the ones used for the very best story. Great work, Its just the beginning. Bruce Hodakaparts.com IDAHO
hodakaguy

Post by hodakaguy »

Changed. This will be for the Model 99 as I have no Model 02. I think the difference would be in parts colors.
hodakaguy

Post by hodakaguy »

[email protected] wrote:Hello, please put eng and frame starting and ending numbers on the front of Manual so the readers can,t go wrong if they just read. Don,t simply hope they know what model they have, this is a great start, If I can help in any way let me know. Please keep the pics short and sweet, and too the point. Don,t overdue, some we see in the forum, go too long and string things out. Tell the story with pics but always double check the ones used for the very best story. Great work, Its just the beginning. Bruce Hodakaparts.com IDAHO
BTW, I am the guy who did the Hodaka Searchable ACCESS database. I still use it!
pungo

Post by pungo »

What is the "Hodaka Searchable ACCESS database"?

Useful tool for the newbees?

I have used Bills P/N cross ref excel spreadsheet many times, very useful.
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Tim,
I will jump in for a quick answer and hodakaguy can add later. The "Hodaka Searchable Access database" has the same info that the Excel spreadsheet or the PDF file has except you need the Access software or an Access reader to use it. You can type in a search window what you are looking for and the program finds it. I just thought most folks don't have either program so we never made it available online. You can do the same thing in the Excel spreadsheet and Adobe Reader by clicking "Find" or "Ctrl F" and a search window comes up.

If you have Access or the Reader give it a try. Hodakaguy will be glad to send it to you.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
pungo

Post by pungo »

OK understand now. Agree most don't have MS Access these days given the way Office is bundled.

Thanks. Just did not want to miss a legacy tool if available.
hodakaguy

Post by hodakaguy »

pungo wrote:OK understand now. Agree most don't have MS Access these days given the way Office is bundled.

Thanks. Just did not want to miss a legacy tool if available.
Wow. I am a test software engineer and every computer we ever bought came with ACCESS. I have never seen a windows PC without it.
hodakaguy

Post by hodakaguy »

Here is the download for ACCESS runtime engine:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=39358
Should allow an ACCESS database to run without ACCESS installed. I have not tried it but worth a shot.
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I don't want to highjack this thread with a discussion on what comes on most home computers (ones that most of us use.) Check out advertisements for home computer sales and see for yourself. You pay EXTRA $$ if you get ACCESS and most folks don't uses it. My version of ACCESS is 2003 that I added to my computer. If anyone has ACCESS and wants the program send hodakaguy a request and he can send it to you or I have a copy and can forward it to you. It is a really nice program if you have ACCESS or the ACCESS Runtime.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
pungo

Post by pungo »

Yep, on the home PC front MS axed most of MS office long ago without paying big $s for it. Some light versions are available.

I expect you have not seen it missing on PCs if you work in corp world as most companies get site licenses for all their machines