Hodaka Book Reviews

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
pungo

Hodaka Book Reviews

Post by pungo »

Just want to say how much I have been enjoying the new book!!

All the info and never seen before photo make it very special.

Thanks again to all those that made this happen.

PS Even some of my non-hodaka friends are looking to buy a copy since I will not let go of mine.
BrittB

Re: Hodaka Book Reviews

Post by BrittB »

I just got done reading mine as well, Ken Smith and Paul did an outstanding job putting it together. I'm also happy to have all the autographs plus one that a lot of people missed, Pat Taylor! I was the first to approach her to ask for one but had to locate a pen plus she wasn't sure what to write. She asked if she should put "Harry Taylors wife" underneath her signature and I told her just her name is perfect! I told her she should be there because she was always a part of Hodaka even if she wasn't on the payroll to which she replied, "That's okay, I spent Harry's paychecks!". Too funny!!!
Britt Boyette
Clarke MFG
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A mind is like a parachute, it only works when you open it. Frank Zappa
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Patty Taylor is one of the loves of my life ! Great lady and full of laughs and wise comments to make us smile. Ken and I deliberately picked a photo that Harry had signed for me many years ago to go on the back cover. It is a black and white shot of Harry testing the prototype Combat Wombat in 1972. We wanted Harry's signature along with this great shot in the book. So if you have a hardcover book you also have Harry's signature too!
Ken,Ed and myself are very pleased that you all like the book. It was done out of a passion for the brand and the people that made this bike possible. I know that both Ken and I are extremely proud of this book and what you might find inside. After speaking to Theta Williamson last evening who is the longest working surviving PABATCO employee even she was amazed on what we uncovered.Our goal was to have folks who read the book say " I never knew that" or " I had never seen this before". I feel we succeeded and are very proud to share this with the world. Magazine editor reviews that have read the book have all been fantastic towards the book.One PABATCO employee that was at the book signing told us that that night was the best night of his life. Two others called my cell on my way back across this beautiful country to tell me how well written the book was and how Ken nailed it !
Now that the book is out I will be updating my Hodaka identification page to give the new updated information. Think you have an Ace 100A??? They were never made. How do we know??? Read the book!!
Thank you !
Paul
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

Paul when will you be mailing out the book's for the people who didn't get them at HD2014? thank's Scott
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They all shipped yesterday Scott. The mailman did not have enough room in his vehicle for all of them so we had to take the truck and drop them off at the post office. Stay Tuned they will be there SOON !!!!!!
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

I knew you were there! answer the phone lol
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Turned the ringer off the phone until Kaity gets in! Phone was ringing off the wall starting at 5:00am this morning. Need to get all the orders and quotes out while I was gone.
Paul
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

yes that's what I want to talk to you about before you send out my two orders
BrittB

Post by BrittB »

It was worth it to wait in line and get the autographs, once in a lifetime happening for sure. You talk about reading about never known facts but the seldom seen pictures, there are many, make the book a complete package. Even without the autographs the book is still a must buy for anyone that enjoys Hodaka, I can oversell that fact!!!
Britt Boyette
Clarke MFG
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A mind is like a parachute, it only works when you open it. Frank Zappa
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

my book came today thank's!!! thank's Patti!!!
swcaudill

Post by swcaudill »

Hodaka Book arrived yesterday.
Thanks Paul and Ken. Great job.
Sterling
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Great
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you everyone I just hope that you all like it!! A lot of hard work went into this project and a lot of frequent flyer miles for Ken and myself.
We are very proud of the book and the Hodaka faithful!!
Paul
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Paul, thanks for all your hard work on the quest to get this done. I know how many years you have been working on the project. Thanks again to you and Ken for all the hard work, it all paid off. Someone else is also really proud I'm sure.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:-)
Tommy,Cindy,Patti and Gregg and I went to see him. He is proud!
james

Post by james »

I'd like to get a book how to we go about getting one?
pungo

Post by pungo »

Just received my two copies in the mail.

The Collectors edition is VERY nicely done!! Excellent binding quality.
I have been a long time book collector, especially of some rare volumes.
This one is a proud addition to my library outside of the Hodaka connection.

I plan on getting several more collector editions as gifts, if there are any left come Fall time frame.
Hopefully all Hodaka fans will have theirs by them.

Thanks again to all involved.
james

Post by james »

Thank you guys I love the site.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

admin wrote::-)
Tommy,Cindy,Patti and Gregg and I went to see him. He is proud!
I was able to spend time also on the way out of town, very beautiful and peaceful. I have a special place on my wall for his #16 sticker.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you everyone for the kind words!! Both Ken and myself are very interested in what folks think. It was a labor of love but dang it was hard work!!
Ken took information I had squirreled away and put it all into a book that makes sense and tells the true story of Hodaka and PABATCO. Lots of things had been written over the years about what happened to Hodaka but now you all know the truth.
Some of the best compliments have come from the folks that were there in Athena back in the day. Curt Alexander who was the PABATCO machinist and made the Bullfrog frames along with the first motorcycle reed valves called my cell phone while I was driving home to voice his approval of what Ken had written. He said that Ken "nailed it" with what was written in the book.
Tim Heihn mentioned to someone at the book signing that that was one of the best nights of his life.
Marv loved it!
Jim Gentry was very very pleased and most of the comments from the folks that were there mentioned that they did not know this or had forgotten about that. If Ken pleased the people that worked at PABATCO and they feel it did justice to the brand there is no better compliment.
Ed was a huge part of us proofing the book and getting all the correct information to be inserted in the book. I doubt he has had a chance to read it yet but he did go through all the final proofs before going to print.

Ken and I will be at McKee's Ranch which is an AHRMA event in West Virginia on July 26th. Ken will be there signing copies of the Hodaka book all day on Saturday. Stop by and say hello!
Thanks
Paul
bobwombat

Post by bobwombat »

Got my book yesterday & had to resist the urge to read it all last night. Simply an amazing job. For so many of us, this book takes us "full circle" from childhood when, for me, owning a Hodaka was just a dream what wouldn't come true until many years later.

Thanks, Ken & Paul; a true collector item & in my library for life & beyond...

Bob in AZ
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

So Bob, does that mean you are taking the book with you? :lol:

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!