How to Load a Wombat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Droptarotter

How to Load a Wombat

Post by Droptarotter »

I did not want to bring my trailer to Hodaka Days, so I had to figure out a way to put my Wombat inside my truck.
This is what I came up with.......it's a bit of a hassle, but the time it takes to remove the front wheel will be saved in fuel and time hauling my trailer.

Cheers
swcaudill

Re: How to Load a Wombat

Post by swcaudill »

That is thinking outside the box!
Sterling
Pep

Post by Pep »

Dude, you should TOTALLY ride that thing like that all weekend!
Also, at least with a Squirt (only 17' wheel), what worked for me when loading in a camper truck was loosening the handlebars and rotating them down (cafe racer style) - was just enough to clear things. Jay Leal has a whole system where he compresses the front ends of the bike with a ratchet/pulley deal, sinking the front end enough to load in his van easily.
Lots of ideas out there - but I think I like yours the best, mostly because I want to parade around on a 5 inch wheel.
Nice wok and drive safe,
-Laurie
Dale

Post by Dale »

Excellent!
Dale
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

That is brilliant. It looks like a hand dolly wheel. I've been struggling to figure out how to load a 250SL into a fullsize Ford Van (Door opening 46", handlebar height 52").

The forks don't have the damper rod hole exposed at the bottom so that means preloading with a ratchet strap hasn't worked. However I've got a spare Honda 50 MiniTrail wheels kicking around.

BTW, does the frame still clear the ground?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Great for loading up . . . but rake and trail specs have been blown all to heck! :lol:

When I compress my forks, I simply "hook" the front axle with the bottom end of the tie down, top end "hooks" on the handle bar in some appropriate location and I cinch 'er down. (No need to access any hole on the bottom of the forks.) Loosen and rotate the bars back to speedway position if things to be even lower.

Ed

PS: I've done my part to improve machine reliability for the Bad Rock trail ride. I got in a box of B8S plugs and a box of B8HS plugs, those will serve to get unfortunate visiting iron barrel hunnerts and all the later alloy cylinder hunnerts and 125s going again. I've also got a couple of long reach plugs for the visiting big bores. My hope is that now that I have the supplies . . . they won't be needed.
PPS: Let's start thinking about . . . Keep the rubber side down!
Keep the rubber side down!
Droptarotter

Post by Droptarotter »

The frame has about 4" of clearance still so I can roll it around easy. It won't go into the truck with the ramp I have without finding a hill to back the truck up to..........that's how I got it into the box.

The wheel is just a cart wheel........does not match the axle, so I won't be riding it around like that!

How come I never thought about compressing the forks prior to loading.......duh.......that might have worked just fine. I'll try that for the return trip.

Hey Bullfrog..........how about I bring rain gear.....so with your way of thinking, we will get no rain??

Cheers
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Why would you even question the concept? Of course you should pack rain gear! ;)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!