Chrome powder coating

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SuperRat01

Chrome powder coating

Post by SuperRat01 »

I have a 1975 Super Rat(98) that I am in the process of restoring. Tomorrow, I am taking the hubs to be powder coated black. Also, I am considering powder coating the rear shock springs with "chrome" powder coating. Has anyone tried this? I have not scene it in person yet, but the chrome powder coating looks pretty realistic in pics that I have viewed online. Linc
socalhodaka

Re: Chrome powder coating

Post by socalhodaka »

Here you go, I think it looks pretty cool if the bike is not for show.
The tank and fenders here are chrome PC
The tank and fenders here are chrome PC
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Thanks for the reply Socal...your bike looks awesome!! That chrome powder coat looks pretty close to chrome. You have given me something to consider. Linc
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Thanks, but it's not my bike. That's Greg Watkins on a bike he did for someone. Greg does top notch work.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes Greg does great work and is a pretty good model too :-)
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello Powder Coaters, I would be interested in what brand of powder coating, your powder coater uses that seems to work the best on our machines products. I am interested in the most poplar brand used and what other colors are available.

Thank you, Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com IDAHO [email protected] 1--208--571--2823 :)
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
pungo

Post by pungo »

I use paint from Eastwood, have used about a dozen of their paint colors as well as Silver and Gold. The last two are harder to get a solid even finish.

I have both the Harbor Freight and Eastwood powder guns and prefer the HF gun, as the Eastwood I had to rewire the hand chicken switch to a foot switch, like the HF unit. One needs two hands when powder coating vs one hand holding a safety switch.

You dont want to use the HF paint as its pretty bad. I do use it for things that I dont care about around the shop, items I just want good rust prevention on but dont care about look.

I would like to get another gun or two, currently I have one setup for black all the time and would like one setup with silver. Changing color is a little of a pain so extra guns cuts down on switch overs.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

[email protected] wrote:Hello Powder Coaters, I would be interested in what brand of powder coating, your powder coater uses that seems to work the best on our machines products. I am interested in the most poplar brand used and what other colors are available.

Thank you, Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com IDAHO [email protected] 1--208--571--2823 :)
Hi Bruce I'am finally back in the game. A friend here in kalispell owns a powder coating business and does a great job. He has a couple of parts that he is going to powder chrome. I'll let you know
Thanks
MTRob