Restoration ACE90

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
CURTISHARVIE

Restoration ACE90

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Hello everyone,
My name is Curtis, I am new to the Hodaka world. My entire childhood my grandfather talked about his little motorcycle which resided in his garage from 1981 on and I had not seen until last week. My grandfather went into a nursing home and I inherited his little Hodaka Ace 90 which I would like to get running before he passes to the next adventure. I plan an entire restoration (my only other resto venture was my 1969 VW beetle) but first things first is making sure the engine is salvageable. I am just looking for some words of wisdom before I get started with the tear down. I will continue to post pictures and questions as I move through the project. I have a factory service manual on its way.
Thank you.
Curtis
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
tvrc18

Re: Restoration ACE90

Post by tvrc18 »

That is an early model 90, the tail light gives it away. They are very easy to work on and a fun project also.
Terry
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

You have found the right place for encouragement and advice. Your restoration project ought to go well. I'm not aware of any un-passable road blocks regarding the project. We've seen machines in wayeeee worse condition get restored.

Note: You can tell your grandfather that you found a web-site where you can discuss things with guys who actually worked at PABATCO/Hodaka headquarters in Athena, Oregon. :)

Ed
PS: I am one of those guys. :D
Keep the rubber side down!
Gary G

Post by Gary G »

I have restored 4 Hodakas to various levels. They are easy and fun to do. If you want my opinion send the engine to Roger Lippiatt, Salem, Ohio Phone: 330-720-2035 for restoration. He does a great job at very reasonable prices. The rest you can do yourself with the resources of the Hodaka community.

Good Luck.
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Terry: I believe gramps said 1966 or 1967, does that seem about right? I think he said he paid $200 new.

Ed: He'll be very excited to hear that. Now any advice on where too send the tank, racks, light ring, and other misc parts to be re chromed? Or should I just strip, resto, and paint the tank and buy the other various parts new?

Gary: Thank you for the contact info, I will certainly be calling him as soon as I get it off the bike and make sure it isn't seized.

Thank you all. I am excited to get started.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Where are you located? That might disclose some resources near you. Also, be sure that tank requires rechroming; t hey sometimes shine up surprisingly well, and rechroming is costly any more. Check out the serial number (how-to here on the SH site) - yours looks quite early, could be pre-66... Cool project, should be sweet when done. Send us updates/pix as you move thru it. We (Hodaka Club) are doing an Ace 90 as our charity project - lot like yours!
Bob
Pep

Post by Pep »

Congrats! I love the Ace 90's - got three and looking for more...it's a disease
On the tank, you can do the internal cleaning yourself - or at least see if it holds fluid before sending it off for cleaning/chroming. Check out the forum threads on rust removal. Depending on where you live, a plating shop that handles car stuff can do the re-chroming. I have a place here in Texas that's unbelievably reasonable.
As for checking your engine, a couple of basics are: kick it over - does it move ok and have some compression? Put the bike on a lift, spin the rear wheel and get a feel for how/if it's shifting. Any grinding, rattling, or weird noises? Put a new spark plug on the ignition, lay it on the cylinder head, and kick it over for spark. You'd be surprised how well some of these old girls hold up over the years.
With a few tools, shop manual, and a little know-how, you can rebuild the engine yourself - of course it would be quicker to send it off, and Roger is awesome.
Most importantly, keep us posted on progress and questions - photos help a lot.
Have fun!
-Laurie
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

I think the tank will need re-chroming. It appears that the chrome is flaking off. Perhaps you can find one at a reasonable price to replace it.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
Pep

Post by Pep »

Just got this tank done (inside cleaned up nice). It was off a local bike I dubbed "The Saddest Dirt Squirt in the World"
IMG_3747.JPG
IMG_4027.JPG
If your tank is dent-free and leak-free, might be worth bringing it back to life...
-Laurie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Curtis although the bike looks rough I can see through the rust etc.. and you have an excellent starting point !! Your Granddad's bike looks to be an early 1965 from what I can see but the VIN # will tell us or get us close. Where are you located in the country ?? Hodaka Days is in Athena Oregon in a few weeks and the Ace 90 is this years featured bike seeing it is our 50th anniversary. Maybe you can come ?
As Ed has already mentioned you have some of the original PABATCO/Hodaka folks here in this group. Ed is on normally daily and Marv is out there stalking as is maybe a few of the other guys.
Welcome to the group.
Paul
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

You have an excellent Ace 90 to start with. It looks complete, Which is a huge bonus. I agree with Paul that it's an early-mid 1965, evidenced by the rear duck tail fender, headlight bucket, and fork ears, but a serial number will confirm. You'll find it on the frame gusset under the left side of the seat, just above the shock mount.

As encouragement, here's what I started with:
IMG_1521cropped.jpg
IMG_1523.JPG
And here it is today, (and this was my first 2-stroke build):
IMG_2399 cropped.jpg
The first thing to do is to get the workshop manual. Become familiar with it, (read it). Then you will understand the bike better as you disassemble. Then, use LOTS of patience. (let those stuck bolts soak before resorting to twisting them off). There is a wealth of information on how to restore on this forum. Use the search feature to find those topics.

Google your area for re-chroming shops. If this were mine, I would re-chrome all the chrome parts. It may be a little more $$, but there is value, not necessarily financial, in an "ALL original" bike. In my area Salt Lake Chrome did a fantastic "street chrome" job on my Wombat tank @ $150. "Show chrome" is more expensive. The fenders are stainless steel. After any repairs, they just need to be buffed out.

Again, tell us where you are. There's Hodaka guys all over the country, and I've found it VERY helpful to have another enthusiast close by, (recently saved me from near engine melt-down disaster).

Keep us posted, take lots of photos. I am envious you have such a fine example to start with.

Roger
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! You're getting me really fired up for the project. Yea the tank's chrome is stripping itself. The kick start skips, which gramps says it has for years so I"ll have to turn the back wheel somehow or just take the cylinder off. I am in Southern Vermont. I do love Oregon though driven through a few times on my way to and from Alaska.
I will certainly keep ya'll posted as I get started, FSM should be here by the weekend for some study time. Great looking tank and bike by the way!
Last edited by CURTISHARVIE on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

VIN is 44469. Oh and I found the working tire pump under the seat!
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

I would guess that the first 4 is actually an "A". If so, accordingly to the change log in my manual, (and my personal extrapolation), that places it about August 1965.

How lucky are you? Strictly Hodaka is in Vermont. If Paul is taking visitors, it would be well worth the trip.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good catch Roger August 1965 would be correct !!! Curtis the kickstart problem is most likely an easy fix. Most likely only the original stamped kick roller retainer has failed. This is common and the new heavy duty cast retainers we make will fix this problem for good. Unless your kick shaft also may be worn. The tank can be rechromed and parts painted and the bike fixed. We have also just completed a "new" set of shorter Ace 90 cables for the 1964 and 1965 Ace 90's like your Grandfathers bike. Seat foam and covers are always in stock.

Where about's are you in VT ? I am in Sandgate which is near Arlington. If you care to come over I will be here most of next week but after that off to the west coast for a three week roundtrip. My #9 Ace 90 is not in the shop at this time. Jack Broomall has it and is transporting it to Hodaka Days for me. Even if it is only advise you need from us please just ask we would be happy and proud to help you get this bike back together on on the trails again.
Paul
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

Is Jack Broomall riding your Ace 90 out to Hodaka Days? You never know about Jack, at the last minute, he might load up the little Ace and head out.
ECHJYA pension fund manager
Mike
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I hope not Mike but you never know with that Broomall fella you are correct.. Gregg Floren took #9 around the Mid-Ohio road race course a few years ago does that count ?
Thanks
Paul
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

I just exchanged emails with Jack. He will be trailering Paul's bike and his Wombat out. He will be be stopping in Wisconsin on the way out for another motorcycle event. Expects to be in Athena on the 25th.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Hi Paul,
I'd love to get together for chat about the old Hodaka. Enjoy your trip and we'll catch up when you get back. That way I've had time to get started and do some reading in the service manual so I'll know what we're talking about. I am in Proctorsville, VT (the NH side of Okemo), a quick drive down route 7 to Arlington.
-Curtis
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great Curtis I look forward to meeting you. I should have #9 back here when you make it over. I will not be back until about July 4th give or take.
Thank you
Paul
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Paul,
What do you know about Classic Metal Restoration in Shaftsbury?
-Curtis
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Hi Paul,
Are you familiar with Classic Metal Restoration in Shaftsbury, VT? If so how is their work? I like to keep things local of at all possible.
-Curtis
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have never heard of them Curtis ? I do not get out much though :-) Where are they located in Shaftsbury ?
I hope it works out for you and maybe me in the future. Ivan have you heard of them ?? Ivan lives in Manchester.
Thanks
Paul
CURTISHARVIE

Post by CURTISHARVIE »

Thanks Paul. Sorry that question posted twice I didn't think it went through the first time. Looks like it did though. I think their address was 123 Airport Road. I'm going to call them this week and see what they do. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks again.
-Curtis
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

I don't know them either. I can try to check into their work though. I know a lot of guys that do automotive restos.
Ivan AKA "Pop"