air cleaner joint

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
philcarmell

air cleaner joint

Post by philcarmell »

1973 Squirt...rubber piece connecting carb to filter housing, part# 933605. Any repops out there. None of the usual sources have it. Thx :D
Tether

Re: air cleaner joint

Post by Tether »

Good luck with your search. I also need air cleaner joints for Super Rat and Wombat, none to be found. It is a real problem.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

None for CWs also
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Kelly, I was lucky! I got the last CW air cleaner joint Terry had in stock.

Folks, just as a friendly reminder, call Terry, don’t just email him. When you don’t see a part listed it may only be that he hasn’t finished unpacking all the boxes from the Strictly Hodaka purchase & therefore hasn’t put the items up in the web page yet. I know theclast time I talked to Terry he still said he had numerous boxes to still unpack.

I’ve had that experience and if I call Terry he always takes a look or advises if it is just the web page hasn’t been updated yet. So remember, if you don’t see it available, call & ask Terry! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Tether

Post by Tether »

I did call Terry about the Rat air cleaner joint. He did not have any and said he was trying to get some made but was having problems. He could not estimate when they might be available.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Do they answer the phone outside of "normal advertised hours"?
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

My understanding is Terry answers the phones Monday thru Thursday mornings Central time. I don’t remember for sure but he may answer as late as 2:00 p.m. but don’t hold me to that time. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

That does me no good till after he's back from TX then.
philcarmell

Post by philcarmell »

Soo, without the correct part, what's everyone doing for carb to air filter connection? Thx!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I have taken the older ones I have and have used Black RTV cement and filled the cracks & even used it like glue to put some together enough to work. And occasionally you can find them used on eBay and get one which doesn’t need a lot of work. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
snooter

Post by snooter »

I hate to toss my hodaka junk but if i can no longer get parts it may be time to just sell off my junk or just watch it return to earth......i hope terry can get all this sorted out for the sake of our little bikes and use whoever paul had making joints....sorry no 96 DS joint in my stash of parts...i was going to fix my DS80 but i just may forget that idea as well.....
Tether

Post by Tether »

The lack of availability of critical parts is becoming a real serious problem. I have a Wombat 94 that I was wanting to get started on but I think it’s just going to sit as a pile of parts for my other Wombat now.
I did manage to make an air joint for my Super Rat out of a Wombat joint and another unknown joint I had lying around. It works but I would much rather have a correct one.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Remember fellas, we are talking about non-durable parts from 40-50 year old motorcycles manufactured by a company that no longer exists. Lots of strikes against non-durable parts availability here. Terry is still growing into a massive expansion of HPI. I'm sure he is aware of the pressing need for air boots and such, and is likely addressing this issue as we speak. Lets see how this shakes out in the near future. Also remember, while substitution is not aesthetically that pleasing, not having all the parts for a stock air intake system is not a deal-breaker in getting a bike up and running. I ran a Combat Wombat on a pod filter for almost two years before I got all the parts together for a stock system.
snooter

Post by snooter »

matt glascock wrote:Remember fellas, we are talking about non-durable parts from 40-50 year old motorcycles manufactured by a company that no longer exists. Lots of strikes against non-durable parts availability here. Terry is still growing into a massive expansion of HPI. I'm sure he is aware of the pressing need for air boots and such, and is likely addressing this issue as we speak. Lets see how this shakes out in the near future. Also remember, while substitution is not aesthetically that pleasing, not having all the parts for a stock air intake system is not a deal-breaker in getting a bike up and running. I ran a Combat Wombat on a pod filter for almost two years before I got all the parts together for a stock system.
He needs to let us know what is going on...if he cannot supply critical parts then so be it....i will park my old junk and just look at it....i cant rid myself of it as my dad and i did so much together on my bikes and he is now gone....bottom line we just need an update where this stuff stands...dam it will suck if i cant get parts anymore...luv these bikes
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Snooter what would you be asking for the ds80? or other items.------------Clarence
Tether

Post by Tether »

I recently rebuilt two DS80s and was able to find everything I needed including the air boots. It took some doing but I got it done. Terry was very helpful with this project. Called him up and he took the time to dig through his stuff and find most of the parts I was looking for.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I'm sure we'll be hearing about this and other part development projects as Terry grown into his new skin.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

A couple of us had a conversation last year at HD about the availability and cost of repoped parts. One thing is it is a slowly declining market, less bikes out there, less being ridden and more being restored and not ridden. Certain parts are more generic and can be used in multiple applications, con-rods being a good example. When you get into air boots, pistons, etc there has to be more thought into what is the cost benefit of having them made. There is more than likely a minimum of parts needed to make it cost effective. Do you go ahead and have 100 made if only a dozen will sell quickly? Then you have time and money tied up in the rest in the hopes at somepoint they'll sell.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Then there are differences in the models. Which ones take priority?
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I have been thinking about this a bit too, Dan. Particularly regarding the many subtle model-specific differences in the air boots. For all toaster tank models, Dirt Squirts, and Road Toads, the two constants are the diameter of the air box end and the right angle bend. If the forward end of the air boot was molded with a taper within the range of all carburetor throats we use, it could be custom cut and cemented to an ordinary length of readily available rubber hose for the final connecting link to the carburetor. Sort of a one-size-fits-all concept that could be easily customized for the application. Of course, this wouldn't apply to the still-air box design on the later models, but perhaps a similar concept could be engineered. Just spitballing here.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I'm starting to think that it's time to re-design the rubber boot concept. Making rubber parts is difficult, plastic parts, not so hard. Probably some plastic transition piece with some standard based rubber ends or at least one end would be one idea. A kit of sorts. Not my problem at the moment but has been before. Not exactly stock but an answer to the problem. Think of it as an update. The modification could even bolt to the air cleaner plate with only one standard connection to the the carb. Just my take on this. BTW, I have a used boot for a 93 Super Rat with no cracks. Probably would pass as NOS. Will part with it for a $50 donation to the 2 the Max project I'm building, plus shipping. Money spent on other Hodakas, what could be better? Maxie 8-)
Tether

Post by Tether »

Maxie,
I sent you an email
snooter

Post by snooter »

taber hodaka wrote:Snooter what would you be asking for the ds80? or other items.------------Clarence
If terry is no longer going to supply new parts i will part it all out...no money in complete bikes....terry needs to let us know what his plans are for parts
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I think Terry still needs time to sort thru and recoup some of his money before he can start looking toward making new stuff.
snooter

Post by snooter »

thrownchain wrote:I think Terry still needs time to sort thru and recoup some of his money before he can start looking toward making new stuff.
I think this is correct.....terry is good people..cant see him dumping crap on us...