muffler repair

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
marty

muffler repair

Post by marty »

Good morning everybody,
I was wondering if anybody has a solution to a muffler leak. On the expansion chamber in the bend coming off at the jug there are about three pin holes.
Would jb weld work on that, or would I need a cold weld suited to higher temperture? JB weld is rated at 500 degrees.
I appreciate your input.
Marty
BrianZ

Re: muffler repair

Post by BrianZ »

There are lots of ways to fix the holes. The best solution is to have the pipe welded or brazed. The problem is that with pinholes appearing, the metal is likely very thin and welding may require removal and replacement of much of the metal.

I don't know how well epoxy or cold weld adhesives will work (or last), but automotive shops sell exhaust bandages and repair compounds that may work. I have found that these repairs are usually only temporary.

Brian
marty

Post by marty »

Thanks Brian
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I tried some JB Weld as a temporary fix on my Wombat pipe, held up for one ride, then flaked off. But it was more than pinholes.Local welder wouldn't touch it. I got a new pipe.
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
http://www.goomer.com/honda/
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Hmm... I've welded problems like this before. No different than welding the exhaust on your car/truck. I'll bet if you clean it up for him, he'll be willing to tackle it.

It is true that that without proper preparation, you'll end up chasing holes; which is not fun... But you can find extent of the damage using an ice pick. If it pokes through, it's too thin, if it doesn't, you should be OK. Cut out the bad parts, clean the edges to shiny bare metal and downturn the edges very slightly. Cut a new piece to fit and weld it in. grind it smooth, and you're done. Quite simple.

If you're good, MIG or TIG will be fine. Otherwise, Oxy-acetylene steel weld, on low heat, will work. Brazing requires less heat. If you wanted to try that. Just keep in mind that the metal must be clean, and if you use too much heat, it will warp the surrounding metal or burn through, (chasing holes).