Boise Vintage MX Race #1

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
lonedave

Boise Vintage MX Race #1

Post by lonedave »

After watching Jay Lael and a couple of other Hodakas from the sidelines last year, I just had to get on the track for this years race. I guess even at 55 it's never too late to start right! Man, what fun! The track was really nice and the weather turned out perfect. I even managed to pick up 2nd place in the 50+ Vintage amateur class. There were only 6 others in the class, but they were all 250's or larger. The only other Hodaka was Jays, but I lost track of him Saturday afternoon and I'm not sure how he did in his motos. I think I'm kind of hooked now, so I guess I need some real riding boots and maybe pants. Saturday night there was a supercross party with nachos, tacos, and drinks. I sat across from Fred Villopoto aa we watched his grandson Ryan win. Fred rode a nice Yamaha MX125 (1973 I think - silver/red stripe tank) really well in the 70+ class. Like Grandfather like grandson! We were also treated to 3 or 4 songs by Lyle Lovett who rode a nice vintage Husky for a few laps with the other celebrities. On top of all that, David Bailey was there to lend his support to the race. That was really cool! I just watched the mostly evo and trans am races on Sunday, but what a great weekend. (Hope Jay doesn't mind me posting a picture of him along with a couple of me)

Me

Jay

Lyle Lovett taking a few pre-race pictures.

Dale

Re: Boise Vintage MX Race #1

Post by Dale »

Lonedave, Nice work! I attended the races on Saturday and they were great to see. Jawa's, Rokon's, Monarch's. Oh my!

I had hoped to ride too, but I am still working out the bugs on my Combat Wombat project. Maybe next year...

As for Jay, I know that he was running in the Inter-Am Experts against the big bikes. He was second off the line at the end of the uphill start and well out in front at the end of the first lap, but later experienced some sort of mechanical issue and dropped back. I thinked he nursed it to the finish, but I am not sure how he placed. I hope Jay adds to this.

Dale
Dale
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Wow, I just ran across this for the first time. My apologies for not finding it sooner. The Wolverine fouled a plug even while running it flat out. My friend Jim Sawtell was there in the crowd with a plug and wrench. Problem was finding him, as the poor Hodie was just about done. When I stopped I had some lead left, but by the time the bike got running again I had faded back considerably. Lucky for me there weren't but two guys in my class, so I was good for second. I was able to win the second moto, and the Boise number plate award is still prominently displayed in my living room, far too cool to be in the back room with most of them. I have switched to a projected tip plug in a hotter range, (BPR5HS) so far with good results. I run 32:1 mix with 50 50 race gas/ premium and Red line oil. I have been having good luck with this oil rich combo, as 50:1 had killed the top end bearing in short order.
The Boise race is super fun, and it's always worth going to. I had been hiding out from racing, but this event lured me out for a brief rip down through yesteryear. I recommend you go if you can.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Glad you found this older post - I missed it too.
What an epic weekend!!
Laurie