case repair?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
thrownchain

case repair?

Post by thrownchain »

On most of the cases I have, below the sprocket there is a post that the rear most cover screw goes into, and it's broken off. Anyone out there adept at fixing that issue? And ballpark cost to get it done?
efkruger

Re: case repair?

Post by efkruger »

I have designed a small part that bolts to one of the lower, forward engine bolt holes that will replace the broken post that you are talking about. I have submitted it to the gentleman who produces the resonator for the next issue I hope. You just bolt it on to the engine using an existing bolt hole that's not used for anything and you are ready to go. Hopefully he will publish my part in the next edition of the resonator and it has dimensions to fabricate one.
The part would be easy as pie to make on a numerical controlled milling machine. It will easily remedy that broken stud that gets damaged from thrown chains. Cases are getting harder to find that do not have this piece broken off.
It can also be rewelded back on. But this is a little more work. I believe a gentleman in Utah does this. If I remember right his name is Gagnon. He is a member of the club and forum.
There are some people who make Hodaka parts on an NC milling machine and sell them on ebay. They could easily make my part and sell it very reasonably.
It would be a great help to repair these broken cases.
I will try to post a photo of my part if I can get my brain functioning half way.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Attachments
stud part.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

OK I did it, the old noodle has not totally gone kaput! Here is the piece I designed and made to easily fix that broken stud. I have it on a case that's broken with a 5/16 bolt thru the existing bolt hole. Note that it has a threaded hole where your case screw will go into. I will see if I can submit some more photos.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Here is a pic of when I made it showing it bolted to a case using an existing bolt hole
Attachments
Hodaka parts.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

its covering the area where the original stud is broken
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

There are other ways to make this part besides this fabricated design I have shown here. Like I said before it can be made easily from a piece of aluminum on an NC milling machine. They could be sold very reasonably. Some of the parts people should do this, it is a simple fix for many Hodaka engines.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Here is one more pic showing the part fully installed with the shifter side cover also
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Hopefully I will get it this time
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

one more time
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

for some reason I cant submit that last photo, hopefully in the reasonator it will come out.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

That repair piece looks good.
I have discussion going in "Ace 100 Project Coming Along" about an add-on chain guide or case protector around the front sprocket under the shift cover. I don't think the chain jumps off as much as it devrlops a "kink" that is carried around the front sprocket and bangs that cover attachment boss. At any rate, it shouldn't be too difficult to make that case.protector/chain guide. There are photos of itnin the thread I mentioned.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Yes I saw that, That's an excellent Idea. Thank you
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

Would the part you posted a picture of work on a Wombat case? I.E. are they the same dimensions? If so, do you happen to have any of those extra laying around :)
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
"You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape . . ."
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Erick's article appeared in the August, 2017 Resonator Revisited, page 34, Vol. 2, Issue #25.
Bob
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

I have had several cases repaired using a piece of 1/2" aluminum bar stock. Cut a piece to the size you need, drill and tap one end and secure it to the shifter cover. Using the shifter cover to hold the piece of bar stock in place, tack weld the bar stock to the case. Remove the shifter cover, finish the weld and you are done. The challenge is locating a good aluminum welder. Thoroughly cleaning and prepping the parts make things go much smoother.
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

bobwhitman wrote:Erick's article appeared in the August, 2017 Resonator Revisited, page 34, Vol. 2, Issue #25.
Bob
Thanks Bob!
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

the part I made for this fix I tried it on a super rat only. I have never tried it on a wombat but I think it will work. If you need one I have one extra laying here in my desk. If you want to try it let me know and I will send it to you. Email me your address. Mine is [email protected] Thanks
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

Just sent you a note via email! I will post up results of the fit here for everyone’s edification!
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I would say that any set of cases that you could exchange shifter covers on would be a candidate for this repair. As long as the screw pattern is the same, not the internals. ( some differences there.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Bill back in the day when we had hundreds of hodakas running wild in the hill, many of them broke the tang off. None of them were from a kink that I know of, I only know of it happening when the chain came off. My fix is like Brians but easier. -------------------Clarence
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Any progress being made on producing these brackets?
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

I received my copy but due to some issues related to my “Stolen Bikes” post, we haven’t been able to test it out. I have no knowledge of possible production.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Bringing this back up for Maxie.
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

I can say the repair piece does work on the chrome tank Wombat cases. Still haven’t heard if production is planned.