Ace 100 clutch arm removal

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
megawat

Ace 100 clutch arm removal

Post by megawat »

While I have the clutch cover off I want to replace the actuating arm O ring. I noticed there's a rivet holding the arm, assume this has to be drilled out.
Thanks for help, Don
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Ace 100 clutch arm removal

Post by Bullfrog »

Nope. That is a "drive pin". It has steep spiral ridges or threads (REALLY steep, almost parallel to the shaft) and can be removed. Use an old sharpened screwdriver blade to get under the head to get the withdrawal process started. Keep working on it, and the drive pin can be removed to allow removal of the clutch lever.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
megawat

Post by megawat »

Thanks Ed,
I wonder why they didn't use a hex head that you could grab on to? Can the pin be reused?
Don
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Yes, the pin is steel so it should not be damaged at all. As long as you let the pin turn slowly counterclockwise as it is coming out you should not damage the aluminum so it should drive right back in and should be snug enough to stay.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Droptarotter

Post by Droptarotter »

megawat wrote:Thanks Ed,
I wonder why they didn't use a hex head that you could grab on to? Can the pin be reused?
Don
With old bikes I find it best not to ask "why" they did the things they did. They were probably using the best engineering that was available at that time .
I usually just laugh and be thankful we have progressed.

That being said, I think we have also regressed in a lot of ways. At least with the old stuff, I can usually figure out a way to fix it without the need for so many special tools or analysers.

Yes, the pin can be reused.

Cheers