Float/Needle and Seat Assembly

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
robert campbell

Float/Needle and Seat Assembly

Post by robert campbell »

Hello,
I separated this out of my drippy carb post. Seems floats and the proper needle and seat assembly are getting hard to fine. I found these on Ebay that fit a bunch of early Kawasaki's with a VM20 Mikuni. They look totally correct from the pictures and the needle looks to be the proper length. I was provided one needle assembly that was way to short.

Where do you guys source them? Paul does not have them currently. Below are is a link to the needle assembly. I need to reply to this to post the float picture.

Rob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KAWASAKI-OE ... lA&vxp=mtr
Hydraulic Jack

Re: Float/Needle and Seat Assembly

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Sudco?
Hydraulic Jack
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Dan at Hodaka-Parts has it if Paul does not. At least he shows it on the website. :mrgreen: Victor

http://hodaka-parts.com/item.asp?PID=263

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
robert campbell

Post by robert campbell »

This is all coming back to me. The needle and set assembly that I bought new was from Sudco. I could not figure out their catalog vey well and called them. The one on Dan's website looks very similar to the one I got from Sudco. It was way to short. I had to bend the doo doo and reconfigure the shape of the tang to reach it. Page 210 of the Sudco catalog shows the needle assembly as a fit to the 16, 18, and 20 VM, but it is incorrect. I have a decent used one now and it is a solid needle with no spring pin in it. It adjusted perfectly to the Hodaka specs of 7/8 inch without the gasket on the body.

The one in my link on Ebay and available through many Kawasaki dealers looks identical to the used one I have now. So does the float. I am about to pull the trigger and buy them as they look much more correct than the Sudco parts. At least I will be able to tell you if they work I hope?

Rob
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

Robert, it may be a bit late to meantion this but have you tried cleaning up the needle and seat you already have? I was having a similar problem with my (94) Wombat with the same type VM20 carb and a quick search on YouTube came up with some good results.
In essence all I did was put some Mother's metal polish on a Q-tip, chucked that in a drill and with low speed and patience I polished the seat, it's bore and the needle.

He's the vid I used,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zlez_hdoWYk

He's working on a snowmobile but the same shade tree mechanical logic applies.

Beven
'72 Wombat (94)
'68 ACE 100 (Project with the kids)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
'66 Ace 90/100- Dirt only