Road Toad Cylinder onto Dirt Squirt Crankcases

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
shunt

Road Toad Cylinder onto Dirt Squirt Crankcases

Post by shunt »

I am sure that if this works someone among the Forum community would have already done this:
Firstly do the Dirt Squirt crankcases accommodate the Road Toad Cylinder.
From what I can see my thinking is, the Dirt Squirt Cylinder studs would need to be replaced with Road Toad studs (are they the same diameter and thread in relation to the end that screws into the crankcases).
Is there any other issues that I am going to come across with this swap.

Thanks in advance for your assistance guys, have a great day.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Road Toad Cylinder onto Dirt Squirt Crankcases

Post by Bullfrog »

If you are talking about a toaster tank, iron cylinder Dirt Squirt . . . you can't move a Toad cylinder to that engine. (At least not without welding, machining, and other complicated stuff.)

On the other hand . . . the painted tank Dirt Squirt engine (alloy cylinder, primary kick, oil injection) is exactly the same as the Road Toad engine - so cylinder swapping between these two models is slam dunk easy.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
shunt

Post by shunt »

Thanks Ed,
My Dirt Squirt is the Toaster model, guess I now have a Road Toad cylinder on it's way from the US to Australia that I can use as a Door Stop when it arrives, is a Super Rat cylinder an option for this sort of swap.

Regards Shane
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes Shane an Iron barrel (model 93) Super Rat cylinder would drop right on no problem. You will need a new manifold and carb though to make it all work plus a little more.
That pipe you received from me will work GREAT with that set up.
Thank you for keeping another Hodaka alive down under!
Paul
shunt

Post by shunt »

Thanks for that Paul this Hodaka thing is a constant learning curve, it looks like I am in the hunt for a cast iron Super Rat cylinder, is the intake Manifold & Reed Valve assembly off the Road Toad cylinder (which looks to be cast iron) interchangeable with that of the cast iron Super Rat cylinder, if so I can get some value out of my door stop that is currently in transit from the US.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Shane let me know how we can help you please. The Road Toad reed assembly and manifold will be to large to fit an early Super Rat cylinder (93) sorry.
The Road Toad cylinder is what is called alumiferic. It has an iron sleeve so it can be bored over but is encased in aluminum or as you say in Australia aluminium. At least that is how Ken say's it but he mumbles a lot too.
Hang onto the Toad cylinder and reed assembly. The reason being that right now you have this one Dirt Squirt (96) but at some point I swear the bikes multiply in your garage on their own. So I am pretty sure there will be a Road Toad or Late Super Rat (98) or Dirt Squirt (01) in your future someday.
I had planned to be at Classic Dirt 10 this year and hopefully we could have met but it will have to wait until Classic Dirt 11.
Unless you join Ken Smith and John McClean from OZ and come to this years Hodaka Days in June ???
Let me know what I can do to help you
Thanks
Paul
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Shane, its not too difficult to use that reed on your iron cylinder, several times I have lopped of the intake studs and redrilled the cylinder for the wider pattern then just put new studs in and do the necessary boost porting and piston mods.

Rich
shunt

Post by shunt »

Paul re the pronunciation of 'aluminium' I am afraid to say that I have to agree with Ken, I think it is going to have to be Classic 11, the way I am going I am going to be battling to have this thing finished for then, let alone a introducing a break in my already fleeting focus with a trip to the US!

Rich I was thinking the same thing myself, I have a spare cast iron Cylinder so have the freedom of machining one to suit the Toad Reed Valve assembly without loosing the option of taking the Squirt back to stock if I changed my mind:
Will I need to machine (Mill) any of the finning away to allow the fitting of the Reed Valve manifold?
Is there enough material in the Cylinder wall to match the 'intake port' to the Reed Valve manifold?
Noting that the Toad Reed Valve manifold is four bolt, do you machine the Cylinder to suit (four studs) or drill two holes into the manifold and go two stud in the Cylinder?
Is there any major cooling issues with the cast iron Squirt Cylinder, from the increase in power that this modification and larger Carby would bring?

Shane
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Shane

You have to cut away a bit off the cooling fin directly above the intake port and there is plenty og material there to match the manifold to the port, Cooling is not as good as the ( ALUMINUM ) 8o) Cylinder but as long as you use gas with sufficient octane so you wont have detonation you shouldnt have a problem. Later I will post a picture of this mod on my flat track bike .

Rich
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

here you go shane

Rich
Attachments
100_4246.JPG
shunt

Post by shunt »

Looks the business Rich and provides food for thought!

Shane