hodaka

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodaka dirt rider

hodaka

Post by hodaka dirt rider »

I have a hodaka. I have frame an engine i do not have a muffler 4 it. can I try to see if engine runs properly without a muffler on it at all. I olny want to see if the engine will run. thanks
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: hodaka

Post by Bullfrog »

Do you mean no muffler - or no tail pipe of any kind? It is OK to run the engine without the muffler insert. NOT OK to start the engine without an exhaust pipe.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
hodaka dirt rider

Post by hodaka dirt rider »

ok thanks
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Curious minds would like to know. Can you elaborate on what type of damage starting a two stroke without a pipe or any type of exhaust attached to the cylinder can cause. I have also heard this can cause damage, but never got a full explanation of what type. Causes a too lean condition without backpressure? Heat build up on the exhaust side of the cylinder liner? Eardrum damage?

Is this problem/principle applicable to both 2 and 4 cycle motorcycle engines.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

I did it without the exhaust pipe. It fired ran 2 secounds then i shut it down. Just wanted to know if it would start.
I don't have alot of /patience when it comes to hard work to see if it works. Didn't let it run for more then 2 secounds
MTRob
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Risks of running with NO exhaust system do lean heavily toward being shot by a neighbor, almost immediate severe hearing loss and possible loss of the shop and house due to fire ( :-) ) -- but yes running for more than just a few seconds will result in engine damage due ingress of extra air (leaning out) through the exhaust port.
Ed
PS: I'll let others comment on the precise situation with four strokers . . . but the first three issues listed above still apply. :-)
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Even leaky exhaust nuts have caused over heating. On the Ace 90's the rubber connector caught fire because of the air leak and started a forest fire. The rubber connector is between the header pipe and the muffler. ------- Clarence