Points problem

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Phil Finocchiaro

Points problem

Post by Phil Finocchiaro »

First and foremost. Merry Christmas, Prosperous Winter Solstace, Happy Chanaka, Happy Quanza, and Festivus for the rest of us. Please excuse any spelling errors.
I am in the final stages of my Ace 90 " Survivor tribute". It's a late year 64 that was purchased as a basket case. Actually more like a half a basket case. I have sourced every missing part hopefully period correct, reconnected every wire.
Now, I am trying to attach the coils to the points and the spark plug. I became aware that there is nothing on the shaft to actuate the points. There should be a lobe on the shaft. Nothing. I also have an alternate coil that is remotely mounted. I am confused and frustrated. I keep looking up pics to figure it out. The book is really vague.
Soooo. Would it be possible for someone to help me before I blow out an annurism?
T minus 105 minutes.
taber hodaka

Re: Points problem

Post by taber hodaka »

Hi My friend. The lobe is on the flywheel about where the flywheel key is. --------------Any thing more just ask on the forum. ------------Clarence
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

also the r wasn't a secondary coil on the early Hodakas , the high tension wire came directly from the primary coil in the magneto

Rich
Phil Finocchiaro

Clarence,
I will have to semi assemble it to see if the points break. It just doesn't look like the shaft is lobed.
Rich,
From what I read, I figured that right coil would be for the spark. It just doesn't have a place for the large high tension spark plug wire to hook to. I have looked at as many pics on eBay and the net as I could. No clear cut pic shows the contact area.

Merry Christmas
Pop
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

The lobe that the breaker points respond to is found on the inside of the fly wheel and is cast into the collar where the crankshaft passes through the fly wheel and not on the crank shaft itself. The high tension coil with associated spark plug wire is mounted to the top frame member underneath the gas tank.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

If it has the original model 90 ignition the hi-tension coil is behind the flywheel on the right. The points cam is riveted to the flywheel. The flywheel must be assembled to adjust the points. I'll bring up the post on adjusting the points when you're ready.

Max
Attachments
model 90 ignition
model 90 ignition
Phil Finocchiaro

Tomorrow, being the third day of Christmas and second day of Chanukah , I will be hard at work in my shop. Wish me luck.

BEST WISHES!

Pop
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Phil, having a basket case, it may have a later Ace 100 ignition where the coils under the flywheel look alike and the Hi-tension coil is under the tank. Here's the Ace 100 ignition to compare it to.

Max
Attachments
Ace 100 ignition
Ace 100 ignition
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

That's what I was thinking Maxie. The absence of the coil and wire in the magneto case suggests that the ignition system was replaced at some time.
Phil Finocchiaro

Max,
You may have the answer. That is the setup I have. So, the right coil on the ignition would not have a place to connect the high tension wire. What I need, then, is a whole different ignition?
If that is the case, I will offer my setup, with the remote coil, for a correct ignition coil setup.
That being the case, will I also need a new flywheel?

Pop
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Nope, all you need is that coil that bolts under the tank. None of that stuff will be visible and the coil stays much cooler under the tank and it's much closer to the plug. They updated it for a reason I'm sure, but the flywheel is the same. Hope this helps!

Max
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

The remote coil was allot more dependable. and as Max said the flywheel is the same. ---------Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Phil the guys are right about the lobe to open the points being on the fly wheel. So is the timing groove mark. There's one on the fly wheel and two on the case edge. So the fly wheel has to be on to both cause the points to open and to indicate where beginning open and TDC is matching up with the notches on the case. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Phil Finocchiaro

Ok. I spent a couple of hours in the shop and just got more "good" news. First, I have added some pics of my ignition parts, just so you can see what I am talking about. Now, in putting a bike back to original, is it going to be a problem using the upgrade and still calling it original. I am a member of AMCA and they have some screwed rules on bikes. I take it that most of you are AHRMA.
I also included a couple shots of the bike.
So, after the photo shoot, I decide to start putting on things that don't affect where I am working. The speedo went fine. Then. I grabbed the luggage rack. I noticed that the tail light might be a problem. I removed the tail light, fitted the rack then realized that the light fixture was too tall. I am now thinking that I have the wrong light assembly. I plan on reading up on the specs to see if the height is specified. Put the tools away. I
Decided to have a cigar and a couple of shots.

Pop
a
a
B
B
image.jpeg
c
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Part of the problem is your sequence. Next time start with the shots, and then hit the cigar WHILE you are working on the bike :D . Could you post a pic of the light, fender, and tie-down rack? From the picture, the rack looks correct. Were the light and rack mounted to the bike when purchased or were they included in a mystery box of parts included with the bike?
Phil Finocchiaro

Just happen to have one.
Attachments
image.jpeg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Good. The picture helps. Me thinks what you have there is a tail light assembly from an Ace 100. I will post a couple pictures of my Ace 100 for reference. You can go to the Strictly Hodaka main page and check under the "shop by schematics" drop down menu for comparison. The good news is that if you are aiming for a functional tribute Ace 90 more than a balls-on Ace 90 rider resto you could drill the fender to accept the Ace 100 tail light assembly.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Here are a couple pictures. Sorry they are so dark. Hopefully they will be helpful.
Attachments
untitled shoot-0185.JPG
untitled shoot-0184.JPG
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

The tail light picture in your previous post looks right even tho it's dark. Is it not the same tail light as you show without the red lens in the previous post? Here's what the 90 tail light is supposed to be from the parts fiche. ; D Victor
Attachments
IMG_4452.PNG

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Phil what are the serial numbers on your ace 90? The early one had a small taillight and a stubby little splash guard. they also had a narrow fender. the later one had a fender extension and stabilizer bracket. The stabilizer bracket was then upgraded to a stronger one. Your fender is for the early ace 90 with the little mud flap. -----------Clarence
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Victor your posted picture is not for the early ace 90.----Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Ah. I was looking on a different page. Was not the oldest of the 90's. I think you mean this one! I usually pull fiche pics from Dan's site because the images enlarge better. Had to pull this one from Paul's so it's not as sharp, but you get the idea. ; D Victor
Attachments
IMG_4453.PNG

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

That's what I was thinking fellas. The picture of his bike shows the early Ace 90 fender with the additional holes for the early style tail light assembly.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

On target good eye Matt. Now show the small rubber mud flap Victor. -------------Clarence
Phil Finocchiaro

Guys,
First off, thanks so much for all the input. "ACES" . To answer the questions you all posed. The frame # is A-5454. That makes it a 1965 according to the updated chart. Slight disappointment. I'll live. The motor is supposed to be original. I saw the chart for locating the engine number but can't locate it right now.
As for the basket case question, there was more missing than was there. The handle bars were bare. No cables, no ignition or side case ,shifter assembly, and cover. No shifter. Wrong seat and pan, pan was welded on. No carb, or intake. Now the forks. No fork covers, no headlight holder, headlight, speedo.
I have to stop now. I must have been on drugs! I haven't written it down before. There is more. Anyhow, I need 4 Advil and a shot to wash it down.

Pop