Yamadaka project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
racerclam

Yamadaka project

Post by racerclam »

I'm back to work on my 1978 Yamaha Dt 175 that I picked up last Christmas Eve , This has been the most stressful year of my liand havnt had much time to work on it with My Dad passing and then Mom issues still happening and also I had a stroke , so I just pick away at it. I have adapted a HT2 pipe to it as well as a Hodaka 250 front end to it. And today just got the new excel rims with stainless spokes mounted , just as a mock up though since I'm still doing other mods before disassembly and powder coat. Then I get to do the fun part of the engine work, If anyone is interested I will update when I'm farther along and if not then I wont .

Merry Christmas, Rich
Attachments
100_4629.JPG
100_4630.JPG
100_4647.JPG
thrownchain

Re: Yamadaka project

Post by thrownchain »

Is that pipe routing going to be an issue with the spark plug cap?
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Even thought it's not a "Hodaka" I would like to hear about the progress you make on it. As with most things, problems you encounter and how they are solved will usually work on most motorcycles, Yamaha's or Hodaka's. Sorry to hear about your father and your health issues. Hopefully the new year will be kinder to you.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Yes! Keep us posted! Always fun to hear & see what someone else is working on! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I agree with Victor and Dirty_Rat. Challenges encountered and solutions developed when working on vintage 2-stroke race bikes are often applicable to other brands. Its the thought process that is interesting. Please keep up updated on progress. Condolences for your father's passing. I too lost my father around the holidays a couple years ago so there is always a bittersweetness this time of year that I can appreciate. I noticed that on your HT-3 pipe mock-up, my impression is that the "TIT" is in a more horizontal configuration than typically seen. Is this a potential issue with its secondary function as an oil trap? I'm thinking of trying to fit one on a TM-125 I'm working on so I'd be interested in your experiences with fitment on a different marque. Thanks!

Matt
Last edited by matt glascock on Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Rich you are one that has talent beyond talent. It is good to see anything you are working on. If I read you correct you had a stroke, with that you may have to throttle back a little. Many of us are bionic. We could have a bionic race for those of us beyond grandpa class. looking forward to the updates! MERRY CHRISTMAS -----------Clarence
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Thrownchain, the spark plug cap is close but will work , I'm using what is called a vari angle cap , very cool piece we sold in the late 70's at Goodies speed shop that I was working at , its very slim and very cool

Rich
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Oh and the stroke not due to health issues but mega stress everything hit within a few months , taking care of my Dad then my moms husband went off the deep end and we had him put in a dementia home then my Mom 89 years old and still working had to struggle to find rides to work and I had to drive 130 miles from Utah to vegas a couple time to take her to work (not fun) then she took a leave of absence from work to figure things out and 4 days later she broke her hip at home then after rehab I moved her to Utah to assisted living and a month later her husband died . I had to make many trips to vegas to take care of business and empty her house to be sold that took 2 months and while driving to vegas to see a lawyer for power of attorney got stroke on freeway and this Monday Mom fell and broke her other hip now in rehab again . And I'm constantly running to her rescue still , quite overwealming and today was a resting day so I got to tinker with the Yamadaka again and took a couple of by 250s for a short ride. Next week I have porting to do , I think things are getting better.

Rich 8o)
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

The Taylor TIT never had a secondary function as an oil trap , the screw in the bottom of the production pipe was an idea that I did on the hand built pipe that Harry built for me which did not come with a TIT but after reporting to Harry that the pipe didn't have any bottom or mid range grunt he had ne fab one on my pipe and I put a screw in the bottom so oil , if any that might accumulate could be drained out and Harry thought it couldn't hurt so that's why they come with them,

Rich
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Thanks for the background on the TIT. I'd love to know the details and trials of the evolution of the HT series of pipes. You guys do remarkable work! Hang tough!

Best,

Matt
Modracer70

Post by Modracer70 »

Rich, tell us more about the TIT, it improves low and midrange? Where on the stinger should it be located? Same size od/id as the stinger? How long should it be?

Thanks, Dave
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

For those who don't know, could someone explain what a TIT is, in the Exhaust sense & not an anatomy lesson? Thx! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
motovate

Post by motovate »

Bad year for you - sorry to hear about it happening. Working on your scoots and taking a ride now and then does wonders. Keep on Keepin on!!
LBM
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

Google TIT and you won't learn much about tuning your Hodaka..
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Harry scientifically explained to me that TIT means Harry's idiot tube. Its function is creating a secondary pulse making a slight power surge when the throttle is popped open . I can say from running pipes before and after it does work.Placement works in the stinger as well as where I placed mine at the end of the last cone.

Rich
Attachments
100_1341.JPG
100_1521.JPG
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Rich, any info or formula on diameter or length? Should we all install one? Just questions. :D

Max
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Max, at first Harry told me to make it about 7 inches long and place it like in this picture , I don't think Harry had a formula just trial and error , both that I made worked , as well as one I built on my trials bike and it was 1 1/4 In diameter and 5 inches long and on a straight pipe basically , it worked really well. And the production pipe is different yet . I guess if someone wanted to keep cutting and welding his pipe you might find an ultimate.

Rich
Attachments
100_4650.JPG
100_4648.JPG
rough rider

Post by rough rider »

Nice job bro! Nothing like a custom machine! Richard
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Interesting project with the TIT. My first thought is that it is rather like the arrestor used to reduce hydraulic hammer in plumbing. It works by providing a springing in the system and pushing more of the unburned charge back into the cylinder during scavenging. The tuned expansion pipe does this with a reflected pressure pulse and I can see how the springiness of the closed pipe would compliment this.

A little reading on water hammer and pressure waves is at Wikipedia under "water hammer". Couldn't get the link to paste.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Love it Rich, you have inspired to post a similar (well sort of) story.

Wayne from Oz
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

More Yamadaka work today , building the 38mm mikuni with 6 venture dividers and an Intela jet. I will get a picture up tomorrow.

Rich
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

More Yamadaka work today building the 38mm Mikuni with 6 venture dividers and an Intela Jet , I will get pics up tomorrow.

Rich
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Just finished the carb for my Yamadaka , a UFO and an Intela jet. Next to make front fender fit without hitting the HTpipe

Rich
Attachments
100_4653.JPG
100_4652.JPG
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Rich, Just curious. If you wanted to campaign this cool bike, how would the use of the Intelajet effect classification of the scoot per AHRMA rules? I'd also like to hear of your experience with the Intelajet system. I have a 94 I'm diddling with as an open-class MXer for the upcoming season. I might throw one on for fun. Does it work like the old Dial-a-jet rig? Those seemed more important when one expects drastic altitude or temperature swings over the course/ride/day. Thanks!

Best,

Matt
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Matt, the venture dividers are legal in all areas of racing so far. The only one now that has outlawed it is in Go kart box stock class racing since my customer has one two years in a row , they just out lawed it about a month ago. The intela jet so far is legal as it basically is just a tuning device, it differs from the dial a jet in that its control piece can be mounted anywhere for remote adjustments and where as the dial a jet has 5 settings this has 3 turns of notchless adjustment so between adjustments are possible. Another advantage with the dial a jet or intela jet is that the fuel mixes with air before it leaves the discharge nozzle , pre atomized and lighter therefore accelerating through the venture faster

Rich