Ace 90 project completed!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Dale

Ace 90 project completed!

Post by Dale »

Let me introduce you to the latest family member. Started on the first kick today after 2 years of on again off again restoration. This was my most complete restoration to date and also my most rewarding. My intent was to make a clean little runner without breaking the bank. What this means exactly is that I did not have any re-plating or chrome work done. Just a lot of hand polishing...

My thanks to Paul Stannard, Bill Cook and Bruce Young for providing all of the parts needed to complete this project. How difficult this would have been without you guys?! Also, much thanks to Ron Liddle for his crank, cylinder and shift cover rebuilds. Great work and service. I highly recommend Ron for any of your motor restoration needs.
Ace90 1.jpg
IMGP2491.JPG
DSC01493.JPG
DSC02317.JPG
DSC02312.JPG
Dale
BrianZ

Re: Ace 90 project completed!

Post by BrianZ »

Nice looking little bike, especially when you consider that it was done without any replating! Congratulations on bringing it back to life.

I notice that you are using the original rear sprocket. Is the chain an original #423 or is it a #428.

Brian
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thank you. The chain is 420. Yep, 420.
Dale
Dale
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

:D :D :D :D Thank you Dale for the post, I have to say with a great deal of pride, to all the
Hodaka World, Dale was our first real customer we had after starting our little Hodaka project to help the Hodaka World with parts and pieces for ACE 90 and ACE 100 machines thanks to my friend Paul and his presistance. . Thanks again, Dale, and all those of the Hodaka World, I think we will see this bike in real life at Athena. Bruce Young :) :roll: WOW!
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
jakecb420

Post by jakecb420 »

Very nice! Glad to see another fine gem brought back to life!
Pep

Post by Pep »

That's one beautiful bike Dale! Love seeing the smoke in one photo.
What tires are you running? Where did they come from?
I think a set of anniversary tank badges would look mighty fine on that tank...
-Laurie
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thanks Laurie. The tires are Michelin Gazelle. Readily available in small sizes and reasonably priced. Check Motorcycle Superstore or Bike Bandit. And I agree on the tank badges and that is exactly why there are no badges currently on it...
Dale
Dale
hodakaronwa

Post by hodakaronwa »

Great Photos Dale, I had no idea that you started with such a mess, looks great now GOOD WORK.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thanks Ron. This little bike was discovered in your neck of the woods by Hodaka brother Nate. It was mostly all there but was frozen up BAD! And I think it had lived out in the weather for quite some time before he rescued it. While it is not a "show" bike, it certainly did clean up very nicely and I plan to have our family really enjoy it in the years to come.
Dale
Dale
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Looks like a show bike to me....unless you used Photoshop on the pictures. WOW, what a nice bike
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thank you Bill. No, there was no photoshop used. I am just a bit critical of my own work I guess. I am okay with the chrome and stainless being less than perfect, but I did have some issues with the painting. I do not have a paint booth and the weather proved to be a challenge so I ended up with a couple of spots that I need to re-do some day. I guess that I also have it in my head that if I have a "show" bike that I would need to be worried about having the kids ride it and I want my bikes to be ridden and enjoyed.
Dale
hodakaronwa

Post by hodakaronwa »

Dale I think you did the right thing. It's a "survivor" I think most of the restorations are better than the OEM in appearance which personally am not impressed with. What you did is the way it survived, it's not a new bike but runs like new.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dale a fabulous job !!! You need to be very proud of this !! Hummmmmm maybe a set of 50th anniversary badges to finish it off would look nice :-)
Seriously brother great great job!
Thanks for helping keep the brand alive
Paul