Thunderdog KYB shock springs

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Ralph Hecht

Thunderdog KYB shock springs

Post by Ralph Hecht »

Hi everyone,
This past weekend I took my freshly restored Thunderdog out for a day of riding and found that the KYB shock springs seem to be way to soft. I'm sure weighing 250 pd. plus gear didn't help, as I was smashing the rear tire into the fender quite often. My question is, has anyone had this experience and would the 719132150 yellow springs Paul shows available solve my issue. I was hoping to keep the KYB's on it. Thanks for any opinions. Ralph
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Thunderdog KYB shock springs

Post by Bullfrog »

Ralph,
It looks like the 250ED Owner's Manual is helpful in this situation. Here is a scan of the information on the rear shocks - along with a note which was hand written in my copy of the Manual regarding the oil volume for the shock.

While I can't say for sure that the accessory spring (yellow) will solve your problem, the data shows that it will certainly help. Note that there is a two-position pre-load ring at the bottom of the shock which allows you to adjust pre-load.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

I use the ED KYB shocks on my 250SL (with ED swing arm) and my 175. I use the yellow springs and have no trouble. I weigh in at 230 and my riding is on back roads. I am not sure how it would be in serious off road applications since I am allergic to mud.

Mike Perrett
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

I installed the yellow stripe springs on my ED250 while riding double in the buddy class at vintage enduros . They were much improved over the stock spring.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Did you know you can invert the lower spring retainer for soft or stiff , maybe its in the soft position

Rich
Ralph Hecht

Post by Ralph Hecht »

Thank you everyone. I think my plan will be to put the yellow stripe springs on first. If that isn't enough, I'll flip the retainer over. I just have a feeling I'll be flipping the retainer over too.

Ralph