Ignition Wiring

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JimmyG

Ignition Wiring

Post by JimmyG »

Can anyone help me? I,m restoring a 1968 Ace 100, My ignition switch has a few more wires than the wiring diagram shows, I,ve got a Brown, White,Two Blues, Two Reds, A Green, and a Black. Could this be a after market switch? Also, Can anyone tell me the Continuity Points of the 3 positions of a stock Ace switch as this might help me as well.
rlkarren

Re: Ignition Wiring

Post by rlkarren »

According to this diagram: http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/v/vspfile ... Acewir.jpg, you should have 3 blues, 2 greens, black, yellow, and white from the key switch.

I don't have my manual with me, but looking at the diagram I would say that in Off position, IG is connected to ground. In Day position, Bat to ground and C1 to SE, and Night position is Bat to ground, and SE, C2, HL. The same as a Wombat (94).

I hope that answers your question?

Roger
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

actually I think I can do better...

The Magneto wire connections the Key Switch makes per key position
:

In Off position, the black wire from the magneto is grounded. All others are disconnected.

In Day position, Black wire from Magneto is un-grounded, Blue wire from battery is grounded against key switch body, Green wire from magneto is connected to the White wire to the Rectifier.

In Night Position, Black wire from Magneto is left un-grounded, Green wire from magneto is disconnected, Blue wire from battery is still grounded against key switch body, then connect the Yellow wire from Magneto to Green wire from the Main harness and also to the White wire to the rectifier.

The trick here is that the Green and Yellow wires from the magneto are both carrying 6VAC, one is used for day, the other for night. And also, the black wire from the magneto is directly connected to the black wire going to the coil, which if grounded, will kill the motor.

That should definitely answer your question. ;-)

Roger
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Thanx Roger. This was very helpful, This bike ran fine befor I disconnected the wiring prior to going through the motor to repair a skippy kicker. I just want to make it right on the way back togeather. Again thanx.