Part Questions

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rdbrooks14

Part Questions

Post by rdbrooks14 »

All,

I am putting together a 93 Rat. Two questions...

QUESTION 1

The Rat had an alloy dipstick in it.

I want to put a stock dipstick in the thing.

I have two NOS ones BUT they are two different sizes. I can see the part numbers for the 100s and 125 never changes EXCEPT an A shows up starting with the Model 97.

Look at these pictures. The alloy is in the center. You can see that ONE stock dipstick is way shorter than the other. You can also see both stock ones installed in a oil side cover. I have seen these longer ones before. Clearly that is too long as it would read full with little oil in it RIGHT? Any ideas on what this is? It came out of a bag marked 921510 which is correct of the 93 Rat!

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/rdbro ... tory/27085#

QUESTION 2

This bike does NOT have a Clutch Cable Adjuster. The one that goes in the Oil Side Cover. The P/N is *811512. The "*" indicates an optional part. Has anyone EVER seen a bike without one? Strange to me.

Thanks Ya'll

Bob in MD
Bob in MD
39F
rdbrooks14

Re: Part Questions

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Another pic if this helps..
Bob in MD
39F
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Bob, some of the covers have the stick right on top and some have it on the side. Look at the schematics and you see what I mean. So I would say the long one is for a top mount and short is for the side mount.
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

YES! That is it! I had forgot about that as I do not have any with the "TOP" hole.
Crazy that the P/N is the same for both the cover and the dipstick!

OK...

That one solved. Now on to the clutch adjuster. OPTIONAL? Strange...

Bob in MD
Bob in MD
39F
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Bob,
I think the adjuster fitting is the last item added to the cable before the lead ball (or bell shape) is attached to the cable when the cable is made up.

Maybe someone used a non-stock cable or made their own up. (I have a big box of cable making parts).

I dont think the part is optional, just added to the cable before it is finished up. The adjusters come in several different sizes. take a look at the cable making kits sold by Flanders and a few others. You can also get just single adjusters or cable ends, etc.

I am pretty sure I had three or four of the smaller diameter adjuster fittings in a box that I sold last month to a guy opening a shop down in OK.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
hodakaronwa

Post by hodakaronwa »

The clutch cable adjuster should come with a new cable.
The early ones were 6mm and the later ones are 8mm, the clutch cover can easilly be converted to the 8mm.
If you are making your own cable from scratch the 6mm adjusters are available from several sources and yes Flanders may very well have then in their cable making supplies. I usually save them from dis guarded cables. "GREEN" right?