Site Admin

HOW-TO VIDEOS ARE COMING!

Post by admin »

What would you like to see explained?

Reply with your suggestions!!
bchappy

Re: HOW-TO VIDEOS ARE COMING!

Post by bchappy »

I think the best one for people new to Hodaka engines would be "How to change the shifter springs." Others good ones would be the working of a Hodaka clutch and how a loose front sprocket can cause oil to leak.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
hodakaguy

Post by hodakaguy »

I would like a video on how the heck I can afford any more Hodakas. I have 4 and am actually entertaining the thought of a custom job as I have an extra wombat engine and exhaust pipe!
When I was 15, I could not afford the Hodakas I really wanted. Now I have them but I am not 15.
Pep

Post by Pep »

I think Bill's suggestions are perfect - definitely the top three most useful how-to's
Maybe also a video on ignition timing? A little universal, but would be nifty for Hodaka owners to see brand-specific timing (points gap, buzz box, and dial gauge methods). Maybe a fork rebuild primer too? Carb rebuild or tuning would be great, but might be hard to capture on a video
Easy to suggest when you're not the one doing the work... :D
Excellent idea Paul - another example of spoiling us Hodie owners
-Laurie
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

I have a few suggestions for informative videos that people might find useful.

1- Longer travel suspension modifications

2- Engine seal and bearing replacement

3-Ignition timing and maintenance

4-Wheel lacing

5- Cable routing

6- Seat cover replacement

7- Fork rebuilding

8- The best way to fix those broken coil mounts without welding

That's all I can think of at this time.

Tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK I am putting Laurie in charge of this and we should have something next week :-)

OK Laurie really is not in charge of it but she should be as she is a go getter and can get it done.
All the ideas are well noted thank you
Paul

Captain HELP !!!!
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

All good ideas and I would add one:
Correct way to pull the cylinder and split the cases.
Even make up a couple of the case splitting (bolt/spacer/nut) to use during the video.
And make up one of the drilled boards for holding the right side of the motor during tear down.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I'll send you my Combat Wombat engine I recently rebuilt wrong and you can tape it and tell me what imbecilic things I did wrong.... :P

Or: Shifting issues would be good. Any rebuild, removing and installing bearings.

Look forward to them!

-Forrest
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
http://www.goomer.com/honda/
dirtsquirt74

Post by dirtsquirt74 »

My suggestion is a video of changing out a connecting rod.
vmxken

Post by vmxken »

Paul - perhaps a how-to video on taking out the slide and needle from a carb while you're out trail riding?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kennie don't you have an issue of VMX magazine to put out !! How about a video on how NOT to take the needle out of the carb while trailriding ?
Thank you Ken I was finally over the emotional shock of reading this in VMX magazine and now you have brought this all back up again. My life is shattered and I cannot face the public now knowing I broke Geoff Ballard's carb needle just prior to leaving Vermont for the ISDTRR.
I will try and get over it but it will be hard...
Tosser :-)

Ed and I want to know if we can add something to the book ????
Don't swear we can hear you.
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

How about one about not using a crappy ill fitting spark plug wrench out on the trail that locks the plug into it and not try to get the plug out by screwing it partaly into the cylinder and then pry up on the wrench, removing 3 of the leading threads and then not being able to reinstall the plug.

Worlds longest sentence!!!!

:lol:
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

@Paul...

Not your fault, who would have thunk they would secure a needle in a carb like that... That could have happened to anyone. With that said, I am glad is was not ME that did it!!

Hey man it all worked out! Two really cool things came out of that.

1. We got to hang out with Geoff and shoot the breeze in the woods while you were back there stressing out and trying resolve getting a replacement for the broken and proprietary (as we found out later) needle. We we all having a great time out there...

2. Plus we got to participate in the brain-trust figuring out a way to manufacture an engineering solution from existing stock - THAT WORKED. It was like an earth bound (non-lethal) version of Apollo 13!!!!

All part of the great memories of that Event - From the visit to your place to the end of the event!!!

Bob
Bob in MD
39F
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello Paul; If I may I would like to through my two cents into the ring; We all have ideas on what we want to see. I would hope that there is some way to determine how many times a topic has been brought to the forum over the years. I would think that your records should produce that info. Run videos that cover the most frequintaly asked questions first. IE; timing, clutch adjust, tire sizing, gas oil mixs, fork rebuilding,
spark plug types, carb rebuilding, and etc. Then go on in tool building to help others. After that more
extensive, more complicated, more industrial projucts could be covered. :idea: The sky is the limit, but try to cover the simple questions first. I might also suggest they be grouped together, engine, frame, forks, carb.s, and etc. I would also hope that these videos be programed to a be download easily by the Hodaka world. :roll: Thanks for the time, looking forward to seeing what you have developed. Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com Idaho. :P
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We do not have access to any of the old forum information any longer sorry!!
Zack is calling you right now Bruce.

Also we have had a problem here with folks trying to order online from us.
The Hodaka forum and Strictly Hodaka shopping pages are two totally different servers. This means your user name and password for one does not work for the other one. This has been causing confusion lately.
Paul
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

How about how to install a 250 kick start lever? I have a technique but it's kind of lame...there must be a better way.

And I had been wondering what happened to the years of accumulated wit and wisdom on the forum. Is it gone forever :( ?
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Darrell wrote:How about how to install a 250 kick start lever? I have a technique but it's kind of lame...there must be a better way.

And I had been wondering what happened to the years of accumulated wit and wisdom on the forum. Is it gone forever :( ?
Darrell, what do you mean Is it gone forever?? It shows everyday here on the chat group. Are you not seeing it?
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Socalhodaka wrote:
Darrell wrote:How about how to install a 250 kick start lever? I have a technique but it's kind of lame...there must be a better way.

Darrell, what do you mean Is it gone forever?? It shows everyday here on the chat group. Are you not seeing it?
I mean the content forum contents from the beginning - starting in 2006 (if I recall) until the introduction of the new website and forum in 2013. Since then I haven't been able to search and access any archived forum material posted earlier than that.

So those prior years would contain walloping wads of wisdom, wit, and whoop-de-doo (wasn't that Capt. Ed's tagline for the original Resonator?) and the possibility of the disappearance of that bank of collective brainpower and experience is what I'm fretting over.
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I am going to jump in for Paul here. The second post of this new forum, back in July 19, 2013, one of Patti's comments was "We will be archiving a lot of the old forums topics, if there is one that is important to you please let us know and we will make sure it is in the Strictly Hodaka Archives -reminder our old forum will be laid to rest mid august so bookmark this new address and register! If you go to the Board Index these archives are available. I guess not many of us had time to go back and search out all the important items that we now wish were there. I don't guess the old company has any of the old stuff backed up that we could beg them for.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Thanks Bill, I went to the Board Index and saw that 36 topics were saved from the crusher.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, Hodaka world. I just had a very nice conversation with Paul and it seems there has been a slow response from we the Hodaka world, as to what Videos, we might have and have not sent in yet to re-add to the forum. Remember all the old ones are gone, the server company expunged all the old files except a very few and started the new forum with those, new ones are being added all the time,as they come in, but its going slow. Please if you out there have a super video that was in the old forum or a subject you know was on the old forum, get that info coming. The sooner we respond to this plea, the sooner the new forum will grow and begin to look like the old forum. There was a ton of exciting info on the old forum, the new Hodaka world have not seen, so lets all look around our computer documents, that we might have saved and send it to Paul. He is doing one hell of a job, but he can,t do everything all the time, in a timly manor as we expect him and his crew to do. Be patiant, and if you can help, welcome aboard. Just answering the tech questions that come in is really a big help to Pauls overall operation. There are those of you out there that help all the time, that has been fantastic. This year some new ones have come aboard to help. Their help is greatly appricated, but there is more that can be done. Even if you don,t everything about a Hodaka, but have one little thing you found while working on your bike, let the Hodaka world know. Who know,s where it will lead. Lets all learn from each other. The mind is a ever expanding thing, use it. Bruce, Hodakaparts.com Idaho.
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Wasn't there a procedures guide out there for soldering in new condensers? I think I saw this either in video or still images before. Maybe it was all a dream :? .