Clutch cover gasket - sealant needed?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
spudman

Clutch cover gasket - sealant needed?

Post by spudman »

Just wondering if any type of sealant is recommended when replacing the clutch cover gasket on a model 99 Road Toad. I'm stripping and repainting the engine and was wondering if a new cork gasket is all that is needed or if something additional makes for an even better seal.
Thanks!
Dale

Re: Clutch cover gasket - sealant needed?

Post by Dale »

I would recommend the newer paper gaskets. And also recommend using Gasgacinch. If done right, the gasket can be re-used repeatedly.

With everything clean, coat one side of the gasket with Gasgacinch. Install the cover and snug it down for about 10 minutes. Once set up you can remove the cover to add or remove clutch shims or to drain oil as often as required and the gasket will stay with the part that it was glued to. I usually glue it to the case but either side of the gasket works.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the dry side of the gasket needs to be coated too. Either use Gasgacinch and let it fully dry or coat it with a light layer of grease. The gasket will then last...
Dale
spudman

Post by spudman »

Thanks! I'm hoping the "newer paper gasket" that you mention is what comes with the gasket set I ordered here at Strictly Hodaka yesterday! I didn't know there was more than one type available.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I have always used grease and I only hand tighten the screws, bolts. Dale will never steer you wrong ! puns ----Clarence
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

I use a very faint application of silicone sealant on gaskets. Makes them reusable, and cleanup easier if the gasket is not reused.

--Bill
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Dale

Post by Dale »

Yes, you will receive the newer paper gasket with your order...
Dale
spudman

Post by spudman »

Good to know. Thanks Dale!