Replacing a bend shifter control shaft

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Ajf

Replacing a bend shifter control shaft

Post by Ajf »

I'm replacing a bent shifter control shaft and noticed the ball receiver may need replaced too. Does this look like its bad or can it be used?
image.jpeg
viclioce

Re: Replacing a bend shifter control shaft

Post by viclioce »

Looks like quite a few dings in the surface. If you have it, I would replace it. Just for smoother shifting if no other reason. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

That ball receiver would probably still work just fine - but why take the chance? The new part is not very expensive and putting in the new one right now will be easier than going "back in" later to replace it if you find it doesn't work all that well. So here is another vote for replacement now.
Ed
PS: The new one will have the "dings" just like that one after a day's worth of riding.
Keep the rubber side down!
---

Post by --- »

Has anyone ever tried case hardening the ball receiver? Just a thought.
GMc
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

While I'm not a metalurgist, I'm under the impression that case hardening would tend flake off under the relatively high "point" loads of the balls against the ball receiver. While the "dimpling" of the surface of the ball receiver in the photo can cause concern, experience indicates that it is not a problem. A primary consideration is that the shallow "valley" on the OD of the ball receiver must be there for ball receiver to do its job.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
---

Post by --- »

The dimpling is a form of work hardening, similar to shot peening. Case hardening is not a surface application. It tempers the metal but not all the way through. I was just thinking that since the receiver work hardens anyway, why not start with a hardened ball.
GMc
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I would guess the ball that are pushed out in the gears by the ball receiver are hardened. So I wonder if two hardened metals against each other would be a problem. Usually you don't want two like metals rubbing against each other.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
---

Post by --- »

A ball bearing is hardened to a standard that you really can't duplicate at home, so even if the receiver were "hardened" by heat or whatever, I don't think it would approach the hardness of a high carbon heat treated ball bearing.

Correct, you should not run two metal of the same hardness if they impact each other. I am just thinking a bit of durability in the receiver might make for crisper shifts and longer life. If no one has tried it, perhaps I will when I rebuild the Webco 125.
GMc